To my Michigan Peeps

mtudb24

Reaction score
All

To all you Michigan deer hunters that take to woods Sunday Morning. My thoughts and prayers are not only for your safety but for your success and for those who are sharing a blind this year with a loved one (spouse, niece, nephew, father, son, grandson) may your dreams come true.  No better time then now to share your passions, their passions together out in the woods.

We would all love to hear the stories of success and defeat as it only makes us better for the next encounter.

I myself, will be anchored out in Saginaw bay on Sturm island with my uncle (dad's brother, my 2 cousins, and my son (11 years old).  3 Generations of Sturm's hunting together.  That hasn't happened since my father and uncle took me hunting once with my grandfather (Their father)

Good luck everyone

Todd

I hate to admit it ,but I kinda  lost interest when my Dad passed away in 2002  . Been out a few years since .I am sure he is cussing me out every opening day that I am not out there .

In 2004 we built our house about 12 miles east of Petoskey ,we see and  feed deer & turkey everyday .Wife won't go for me shooting one of them out the back door . :p .

But we do have state land less than a mile away or I could go to a friends house ,which I have done in the past .

I was also invited to a camp in the U.P. 

I may take my 44 for a walk by the creek later in the week .

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hunt at my parents place where I grew up but due to some family issues I haven't been out there in 5 years. I miss sitting in the woods and enjoying the beauty of nature. Maybe next year I'll get out for some spring turkey. Damn family.

The week October 18 my two sons and two grand sons headed for the woods here in SC. This is the fifth year that we've been able to get together for our hunt. Prior to that my oldest son and I went to Maine for a week then over to Vermont for another week

Now one son flies in from California, and the other son with two of his boys drive down from Rhode Island. It is a great time they all stay over a couple of nights, lots of talk and beer. Each year someone has bagged a deer. Everyone comes back to the house before departing on Sunday. They leave for their homes happy and the talk begins about next year.  

I don't know how many are in their 80's, out there , I'm hoping for a couple more years before I have to call it quits. Maybe become the camp full time cook.

Russell, where did you go in Maine?

My daughter inlaw's uncle had a small cabin in Avon, ME. North of Farmington. Do you know where the Lobster Dist. is off route 4?

My folks had a camp on Ambejejus lake outside of Millinocket close to Mt. Katadin. My brother has it now. I remember the Farmington exit on the turnpike and did you ever go to LL Bean?

Been to LL.Bean many times. Love the town of Freeport, many outlets and in some cases good deals. The other place I love to go is the Trading Post in Kittery. As good as Bass pro Shop. Miss the area but "NOT THE SNOW"

I hate to admit it ,but I kinda  lost interest when my Dad passed away in 2002  . Been out a few years since .I am sure he is cussing me out every opening day that I am not out there .

In 2004 we built our house about 12 miles east of Petoskey ,we see and  feed deer & turkey everyday .Wife won't go for me shooting one of them out the back door . :p .

But we do have state land less than a mile away or I could go to a friends house ,which I have done in the past .

I was also invited to a camp in the U.P. 

I may take my 44 for a walk by the creek later in the week .
Jack, same here lost mine in 2000 and haven't been back just isn't the same. I have from 10 -23 deer in my yard every afternoon. I live in the middle of 20 acres and surrounded by large farms. My 20 is a safe haven for all the deer. Its cool I get to see plenty of bucks when the rut is on! It started with 1 deer as I walked up my driveway one day , looked up and this deer is standing right in front of me and instead of running away she walked toward me.That was about 2005. The rest is history, I call her Nelly AKA Nosy Nelly since she walked toward me instead of running. And she is still alive and doing well, she has raised a lot of yungins on my place! I feel blessed to have had this experience  and for so long.

Here is the local "Buck Pole "  @ Pat & Gary"s  in Indian River Michigan .(no pics or deer  taken by me ) 

12244709_10203992900977453_7119034040492157651_o.jpg
11047604_10203992901537467_8150842898980811661_o.jpg
bigdeer-1.jpg
12265971_10203992903097506_6027719083246405213_o.jpg

I went to a local buck pole yesterday and there was one lousy little 4point there. I didn't even get out of the truck. That one in your  photos is a monster Jack. I'm sure we will be hearing about it on Michigan Out Of Doors.

I went to a local buck pole yesterday and there was one lousy little 4point there. I didn't even get out of the truck. That one in your  photos is a monster Jack. I'm sure we will be hearing about it on Michigan Out Of Doors.
I don't think it is real .I just put  it in there after I googled 30 pt buck

.https://www.google.com/search?q=30+pt+buck&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS610US610&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIrLe5-L6VyQIVwvM-Ch21JwIj&biw=1600&bih=775

bigdeer-1.jpg

My daughter inlaw's uncle had a small cabin in Avon, ME. North of Farmington. Do you know where the Lobster Dist. is off route 4?
I used to go to East Wilton to a good customer that became a close friend. Started visiting him in 1976 until last visit in August of 2015. Stayed at various hotels in Farmington, and loved the food and various craft beers at Fiddleheads. Great area! A good friend has a hunting camp in Eustis, Maine. I've made many motorcycle trips on Rotes 2 & 4 in that area. My wife is from Ft. Kent. I met her while in the AirForce at Loring AFB. Hunted all the time while up there. Like you said, miss the area, but not the weather and lack of jobs.

Back