Trailer for your Bennington, Brand/likes/dislikes?

LT1GMC

Reaction score
I am searching for a trailer for my 2574 ESP (tri) Bennington. I have noticed some come with smaller tires 20.5x8x10". They do get the boat closer to the ground, easier to launch and fit in the garage. Anyone have problems with the smaller diameter tires? I do have that same tire/wheel size on my PWC trailer and love them, but they are not loaded as much as a 4000 lb pontoon package. Any other thoughts/ comments welcome.

Any other thoughts?
Check the trailer specs for yourself, accept nobody else's word for it.

And read the tire sidewalls and owner's brochure; which will be tucked somewhere on the trailer, perhaps in a plastic bag taped to the frame.

Smaller tires are more likely to be "50mph & Under" than their larger cousins.

I agree I wouldn't want to be hauling any distance with the smaller tires at freeway speeds. So I guess the question is how far do you plan on towing? Even if it was a short distance I would opt for the larger wheels and tires. IMO trailer tires and wheels are undersized and leave no room for error as they are. Smaller wheels and tires if it would make or break it for you getting in your garage I can understand but other than that I say go with the normal sized wheels and tires

We have a 2575 Tri toon with the Zeiman trailer and we have done quite a bit of towing with no problems. Also we have the toursoun bar supension

I looked at about a dozen trailer brands and Shorelandr stands out from the crowd in my opinion. I would not shy away from small tires as they are almost all road speed rated now days and the trick is to make sure they are 10 ply and to run them at max cold psi. I have the same tires size you posted and I pull my boat 150 miles every week at 65-75 mph and have had no issues over the last 5 years of doin this. Just need to keep the bearing buddies greased with a quality grease periodically as they spin faster with smaller tires. I use amsoil synthetic grease myself.

Agree with Wild and Free. I have 14" tires on my trailer and I'm thinking about going to a smaller tire. I have to back my boat in very deep to get it off the trailer. I also have to drop the bimini all the way down to get it in my 10' tall garage door. Just get load range D or better yet E and check speed rating. Then again there all made in China so who really knows what your going to get :angry:

Agree with Wild and Free. I have 14" tires on my trailer and I'm thinking about going to a smaller tire. I have to back my boat in very deep to get it off the trailer. I also have to drop the bimini all the way down to get it in my 10' tall garage door. Just get load range D or better yet E and check speed rating. Then again there all made in China so who really knows what your going to get :angry:
I have a good friend who has a 25 foot tahoe toon and he too went from 14 inch tires to the same tire and wheel I have and is way happier with the smaller tires as well and we boat together and put similar miles on our rigs and he is trouble free as well. He has actually gone on several longer trips than me with toon on tow with the smaller tires.

Hi All, i've got 20.5x8.0x10 Carlisle sport trails on my trailer, single axle with a 20Sli on board. We pulled it from Minnesota to Kansas with no problems, and no problems since. The ones i have are E rated, but Carlisle offers the same tire in an F rating. Definetly stay away from the bargain chinese tires, Carlisle has been around a long time and offers a good product, i've got them on my camper as well ;) And no, i don't work for Carlisle :D

I did some measuring today of various trailers, comparing them all at the axle and from the bottom of the bunk to the ground. The Shorlandr with the 20/8/10 tires was 24", A Mid American with 13" tires was 31", a 7" difference in launching depth required, and maybe just enough to fit in my 8' garage door. Note there are contruction differences also, its not all just from the tires. Thanks Wild and Free for the towing info, I did find out the load rating for the 20/8/10 tires used on the pontoon trailers is considerably higher than the same size on my PWC trailer.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back