Trailer guides for elliptical tubes

Lubecer74

Reaction score
I have a Bennington 22SSX w 32" elliptical tubes and lifting strakes. I have an EZloader trailer. Loading the boat on the trailer can be a pain w winds and tides (DownEast Maine).

Anyone else have this setup and have you installed any guides? Looking for suggestions. Havent seen much on the open market. Contacted EZloader and awaiting reply.

Thank you...

Get the guides from pontoonstuff.com

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/products/pontoon-trailer-guide-ons

I bought these and have been very impressed with them. I had looked at others, but the reviews were all over the place. Most of them bend or don't work very well, and I didn't want to take my trailer to a shop and have them fabricate custom guides.
These are very strong, and have a nice glossy powder coated black finish on them that looks like it will stand up well to the water. The 2x4s can be removed and recarpeted easily if need be at a later time. They bold right onto the cross beams of the trailer with 4 bolts (2 U-bolts) on each guide.
Pontoonstuff.com was great to do business with. Fast order confirmation, fast shipping, and great communication. Buy with confidence.

Yep, I use the same ones. They work great.

Get the guides from pontoonstuff.com

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/products/pontoon-trailer-guide-ons

I bought these and have been very impressed with them. I had looked at others, but the reviews were all over the place. Most of them bend or don't work very well, and I didn't want to take my trailer to a shop and have them fabricate custom guides.
These are very strong, and have a nice glossy powder coated black finish on them that looks like it will stand up well to the water. The 2x4s can be removed and recarpeted easily if need be at a later time. They bold right onto the cross beams of the trailer with 4 bolts (2 U-bolts) on each guide.
Pontoonstuff.com was great to do business with. Fast order confirmation, fast shipping, and great communication. Buy with confidence.
Thank you.

I have a Bennington 22SSX w 32" elliptical tubes and lifting strakes. I have an EZloader trailer. Loading the boat on the trailer can be a pain w winds and tides (DownEast Maine).

Anyone else have this setup and have you installed any guides? Looking for suggestions. Havent seen much on the open market. Contacted EZloader and awaiting reply.

Thank you...
Same deal here, I'm considering guides to the center ,against the pod forward of the engine, any input?? Thanks

Pontoon stuff.com has a set of four that bolt to the trailer frame. The last crossmember on the trailer, just in front of the engine, is useless for guides. Your boat floats on the water. With your trailer backed down the ramp, they will be too far underwater and won’t be of any use. Mount them forward.

Thank you...
I'm trying inward facing against the pod just ahead of the engine....any input??

Pontoon stuff.com has a set of four that bolt to the trailer frame. The last crossmember on the trailer, just in front of the engine, is useless for guides. Your boat floats on the water. With your trailer backed down the ramp, they will be too far underwater and won’t be of any use. Mount them forward.
I would echo this. The only thing the rear guides will often do is stick up just high enough to scrape up your toons, depending on ramp angle. In theory, they sound like a good idea, but I didn’t like the guides at all and removed all 4 after the second time retrieving the boat with them in place. Contrary to the experience of the majority, I found the guides to be more of a hindrance than help loading.

I have a similar setup on my Benny, but I also have the outside guides which are awesome. First, they make it easy to align things up even in winds or currents. Secondly, you can pivot against them when you are slightly off.

19304635-3767-42CB-BDE7-51EA0959B74B.jpeg21A30E19-AE5A-488C-AC24-6F301709C85C.jpeg

Our newest 2017 22 SSRCX Benny came with a pair of the 45" Extreme Max trailer guides mounted about a foot from back end of trailer. We had a windy situation and even with the guides the boat got crossed up on trailer and one guide got slightly bent from side load from wind.. Screw this, I said! Got the credit card out and ordered 2 sets of Veve heavy duty 45" trailer guides and 3 sets of black foam padded 36" socks with black canvas covering that sleeve over top of the PVC pipes to protect boat. I moved the original Extreme Max set as far back as possible. Next mounted one Veve set about 2 1/2' forward of that, then third set ahead of double axle about 9-10' ahead of the second set. Kept spacing about 2" away from pontoon surfaces. Then installed 36" foam padded black canvas sleeves over each PVC pipe. Maybe I will get laughed at as overkill but wife hates the loading/unloading drama so if it goes seamless with all these guides, then "happy wife, happy life" will make it worth it. :cool: She even bought both of us t-shirts that say "sorry for what I said while docking boat" Kinda funny seeing someone in Covid-19 face mask yelling obscenities while trying to hang onto docking ropes. :rolleyes: Haven't been out to try them yet. I will paint exposed brackets with a rust proof black paint eventually. Note that both brands of guides have 14 gauge metal and an angled brace welded in for strength. Not all brands are as reinforced. Almost the same initial cost but some are made huskier. Didn't opt for galvanized as we only go to fresh water rivers and lakes.IMG_4402.jpgIMG_4400.jpgIMG_4398.jpgIMG_4401.jpg

Last edited:
I like the looks of the outer guides, but in most states it will put you over-width.
However, I doubt that anyone would pull you over for that.

Have them on ours but there are several options offered by Road King also and their prices aren’t bad.

I have a similar setup on my Benny, but I also have the outside guides which are awesome. First, they make it easy to align things up even in winds or currents. Secondly, you can pivot against them when you are slightly off.

View attachment 26720View attachment 26721
Can I ask do you have the inside and the outside posts? And where did you buy them? Any information appreciated!

Can I ask do you have the inside and the outside posts? And where did you buy them? Any information appreciated!
Just the outside ones added as trailer came with inside guides. Brand is Veve and available online in both galvanized and cad plated models. I added the foam/canvas covered sleeves to cushion contact with boat. Get good ones that have braces at bend like the Veve brand.

All of the guides were purchased through and installed by my Bennington Dealer.

I would echo this. The only thing the rear guides will often do is stick up just high enough to scrape up your toons, depending on ramp angle. In theory, they sound like a good idea, but I didn’t like the guides at all and removed all 4 after the second time retrieving the boat with them in place. Contrary to the experience of the majority, I found the guides to be more of a hindrance than help loading.
I know my friends with horizontal guides (vs these vertical guides) love them, and I have seen designs where the 6 to 10' horizonal guide is laid flat so both sides provide protection. I am getting them put onto my trailer, as Havasu winds can be nasty and the load ramps are always busy. Look up trailer guides, I posted some of my design plans for my trailer and others have some great discussions on this topic.

I know my friends with horizontal guides (vs these vertical guides) love them, and I have seen designs where the 6 to 10' horizonal guide is laid flat so both sides provide protection. I am getting them put onto my trailer, as Havasu winds can be nasty and the load ramps are always busy. Look up trailer guides, I posted some of my design plans for my trailer and others have some great discussions on this topic.
Did you ever get long horizontal guides installed? I'm still trying to decide between the horizontal or the vertical.

Is this the horizontal guide type you were looking at?

Did you ever get long horizontal guides installed? I'm still trying to decide between the horizontal or the vertical.

Is this the horizontal guide type you were looking at?

Yes, LOVE THEM. I have both, I find the horizontal works to catch the front toon in wind, allows me to power / pivot, and then the horizontal guides keeps the Benny from floating off the front.

Back