Trailer Guides

Butchkid

Reaction score
The biggest thing I fight when going out on the water is the wind. The marina that I use happens to be situated so that the wind constantly blows in the worst possible direction. I've learned to put the Bimini down when heading in to the slip or the trailer to reduce the sail effect, but I was thinking about getting some trailer guides to help me load the boat. My wife is still getting confidence with her boat driving so she hasn't started helping me put it on the trailer yet. So far I've done that by myself which makes it challenging and I end up on the ramp longer than other boaters might like. I've been thinking about getting some trailer guides to help, but I'm not sure what would be the best. I found the guides below online but I bet I could knock those off pretty quickly. Any recommendations?

gallery_82_73_11043.jpg

Butch, I've got a Hustler trailer and have found that if I leave about 4" of trailer bunks exposed at the tongue, the bunks center the logs every time. It's an easy connect and power load the last few inches for a perfect one man job.

Butchkid, I have two sets on my trailer. It came with them. I suppose they help but after I polished my pontoons I noticed small dents in them where someone, (not me), had used them to force the barge on the trailer. They are not real noticeable but still an eyesore to me. In your situation I would want them. Let me know if you want me to post pics as I have it in the back yard. Steve

Wow, Spinzone, that might be a big part of my issue then. I was trying to minimize how much force I had to use to drive on so I was much farther in the water. In fact the wind has sometimes pulled me off the rails even after I thought I was secure. Do you grease the rails at all to help it slide on?

Steve, I would definitely want to see pics. THANKS!

I use a silicone spray to keep from tearing up the carpet on the bunks. I assure you, by doing it that way, you'll never be slow at the ramp and makes retrieval by yourself a breeze.

I would always use a can of Lemon Pledge on my bunks. I would launch the boat, have my wife monitor the boat while I go park. I would use a whole can of Pledge on the bunks. When I returned from the day on the water the bunks were dry. I have no idea why Lemon Pledge, that was what I was told. I imagine most any furniture polish will work. Next time you get ready to launch, you will be well advised to keep your your boat attached to your winch until you are ready to launch.

Back