Trailer with surge brakes

Pallen995

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a trailer with surge brakes. I purchased a new Benny 22 LSR and it came with that type of trailer. I wasn't informed until I picked up the boat. Wish I would've been given an option for regular brakes.

I bought a new SX21, express package, with a tandem axle galvanized Road King trailer with hydraulic surge disc brakes this year. I towed it for the first time from Georgia to West Virginia, which was an 8 hour trip. I‘m very satisfied with the brakes and the trailer overall. It handles and stops great.

I dont like not being able to back up without taking out the pin. Is yours like that?

Yes, but normally there isn’t enough pressure when I back up to engage the brakes, so I haven’t had to take it out backing up yet. I could see it being an issue if I had to back up an incline.

My towing vehicle sits low and puts pressure on the hitch. I have to raise it up to even remove the pin.

I have a ShoreLandr tandem axle trailer w/hydraulic disc brakes. They work very well. Mine has the large round plug-in (for the lights) that locks out the brakes when in reverse for backing up. It also has a key to insert if backing up with out being plugged in.

MAL is correct. I forgot that mine has that same set-up.

Anyone ever have a trailer with surge brakes. I purchased a new Benny 22 LSR and it came with that type of trailer. I wasn't informed until I picked up the boat. Wish I would've been given an option for regular brakes.
Tandem axle trailer for a 5,000 lb. wake boat, surge brakes work great. Had to pull the pin a couple times to maneuver around. A non-issue from my point of view............................................................

My towing vehicle sits low and puts pressure on the hitch. I have to raise it up to even remove the pin.
Does your wiring harness have the 4 or 5 pins on it? I was told if it has the 5 pins then that prevents the brakes from locking up in reverse. Mine also have the pin thing too. Just had to make sure I got the round 7 to 5 adapter.

Hmmmm, I thought I had replied to this?
The OP double posted the same thing in two different threads. You probably replied to the exact same comment in their other thread/post.

The OP double posted the same thing in two different threads. You probably replied to the exact same comment in their other thread/post.
Only thing worse than double posts is someone coming on and blasting the forums with 5 new threads and none of them are a real question, but a complaint. And then doesn’t respond back to any of the threads.
Wish we could close the threads and move on…

I picked mine up from the dealer with a trailer that has that system -first trip was from the dealer to camp, which is about 150miles. The system worked great and no complaints at all!

CCSW GMCandBenny.jpg

Back