transducer mount and speedometer wheel, and prop

Mike Frantz

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I have basically three issues.....first, I mounted my fishfinder (Humminbird) tranducer on the bracket on the port toon. it is on the left side of this bracket, hangs down about an inch below the pontoon. when cruising the transducer throws up a rooster tail and gets the back of the rear seats wet.

also I bought the speedometer component for the fishfinder and it says to mount it 6 to 8 inches from any transducers ?????

What are you doing for a place to mount the wheel? and won't this just add to the problem with the rooster tail? it's not a big one, but it shoots almost straight up the back.

And last but not least, My Bennington is a 2010 22 SLI with a 90 horse Yamaha. the best I can get is 5900 rpm. Obviously I don't know the speed yet, but it seems light for this combination....it has a H 14 X 11P prop on it. gas milage seems poor two.

I love this thing, I wish I would have bought one years ago, instead of a steady progression of ski, jet and other styles of boat.....Help me....

Mike, I can't help much with the mounting issues you have as I have the garmin that came on the boat and the speedo wheel that came with the boat. I can tell you though that they do not hang below the bottom of the tune. I will try to get you some pics this weekend as where mine are mounted. As far as your rpm's are concerned, I think you are right where you want to be. Yamaha recommends 5,000 to 6,000 rpm's at wide open throttle. Peak horsepower is at 5500. The golden rule is to be as close to 6,000 as you can. I personally have mine hitting 6,200 with just me on the boat and then with a load, it naturally falls with the heavier the load. With my typical load, I run between 5600 and 5800.

Mike,

Did not get any pics, but I did look at them. My speedo wheel is on the left side of bracket and transducer is on the right. They are both mounted to be flush with the bottom edge of the tune. Again, mine are not hummingbird. I did have to adjust my speedo wheel slightly to get it to read correctly as close to my gps as possible.

Mike,

Did not get any pics, but I did look at them. My speedo wheel is on the left side of bracket and transducer is on the right. They are both mounted to be flush with the bottom edge of the tune. Again, mine are not hummingbird. I did have to adjust my speedo wheel slightly to get it to read correctly as close to my gps as possible.
Thank you or the RPM help, that takes alot of worry away, I'll leave it alone

The instructions on the transducer and the speedo wheel, both say bracket even with the bottom with the units hanging below that, but if yours work that way, I'll give it a try. thanks for the help.

Mike,

I have the 2012 22SSI with the Mercury 150, I set the Transducer on the center of the port tube bracket 1/4 inch below the bottom of the tube. No spray and performs well. I went with the Lowrance Mark 4 fish finder w/build in GPS so I don't need the speedo wheel. You should not get any spray, I think your transducer is set too deep!

Enjoy Your Bennington!

Riverbill

Mike,

I have the 2012 22SSI with the Mercury 150, I set the Transducer on the center of the port tube bracket 1/4 inch below the bottom of the tube. No spray and performs well. I went with the Lowrance Mark 4 fish finder w/build in GPS so I don't need the speedo wheel. You should not get any spray, I think your transducer is set too deep!

Enjoy Your Bennington!

Riverbill
Thanks for the help guys, I'll mount them on the same bracket about a 1/4 inch below the toon. thanks again.

Just one other question, if I go to a bigger prop and stay in the 5800 rpm range, could I get alittle more performance?

Mike,

I'm not sure you have enough Horse Power to pull a larger Pitch Prop! Your RPM is just about right, 5900 RPM's is good. If you are running at wide open throttle all the time your fuel consumption will be high. Best fuel economy is around 3500-4000 RPM's. Different types of Props have some advantages, Stainless Steel & 4 Blades can sometimes improve performance. Speed and performance is not always the same thing! Are you looking for more speed?

Riverbill

Mike,

I'm not sure you have enough Horse Power to pull a larger Pitch Prop! Your RPM is just about right, 5900 RPM's is good. If you are running at wide open throttle all the time your fuel consumption will be high. Best fuel economy is around 3500-4000 RPM's. Different types of Props have some advantages, Stainless Steel & 4 Blades can sometimes improve performance. Speed and performance is not always the same thing! Are you looking for more speed?

Riverbill
Thanks Bill for the responce, Yea, more speed would be great...although gaining 5 MPH would not be worth the effort. I should have gotten the 150 horse motor in the firat place I quess. But I love this toon. thanks.

If anyone could post a pic of the mounted transducer it would be great. I will take a pic of mine the next time I am with my boat. I am interested in seeing how other are.

AWK

If anyone could post a pic of the mounted transducer it would be great. I will take a pic of mine the next time I am with my boat. I am interested in seeing how other are.

AWK
That would be great for me also, I'm still getting a spray staight up off the transducer and now off the wheel for the speedo. thanks.

Mike, i get the straight up spray also, i think it's from the hole for the bilge pump.

Since i don't have a livewell, the hole was left open. I've been thinking of putting a plastic hole plug in it to see if it stops the 'fountain'

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back