travel cover

I was always told to take the cover off when trailering and we have done so over the years when we trailered our boat a significant distance! But I know some members here have had success with travel covers. Hopefully they will chime in......

I would like to know this as well. The previous owner stated that the pontoon was the only one with the original cover that could be towed. This makes sense as the front comes down to the deck, but my question is the same, should we even travel with a cover, and mainly this one?

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 9
Bennington stopped covering the bow a few years ago on all models. If that is the original cover from Bennington, it is a mooring cover not a travel cover .

There are some aftermarket travel covers. The OEM Bennington ones are not.

The previous owner stated that the pontoon was the only one with the original cover that could be towed. This makes sense as the front comes down to the deck, but my question is the same, should we even travel with a cover, and mainly this one?
I believe the previous owner is mistaken. Ours comes down to the deck as well, but it was clearly stated as not for travel on tags and by the dealership when we ordered and received our 2017 Bennington.

FYI: Older picture from 2018 as it’s my only one that shows front with bimini on the boat…pre-Sea Legs with our old lift.

IMG_1222.jpeg

I would like to know this as well. The previous owner stated that the pontoon was the only one with the original cover that could be towed. This makes sense as the front comes down to the deck, but my question is the same, should we even travel with a cover, and mainly this one?
i would not.. the wind would rip your front snaps out of the cover

Thanks for all the replies! I can agree that it should come off while travelling any distance at any speed. Back to the OP ask, is there a recommendation for a travel cover or is the consensus to go convertible style? Also since a pontoon is new to me, is there anything else to remove from the boat that can get damaged by the wind at highways speeds, like the tables for one…?

Remove anything that is removable, including seats that are held in place by velcro.

Yeah, remove everything removeable. In some layouts, like the swingback, you have rear pop in seat cushions. Things like those, tables, Velcroed items (if there are any with your layout) all should be removed and secured in vehicle.

If you search online there are covers advertised and made as “travel covers” if that is something you’re after. They strap down with straps that wrap around the entire pontoon. That said, towing “convertible” style is fine and what they’re made for once you’ve secured all those potential pop-out items.

Make sure the Bimini/s is/are securely in the trailer position in their boot/s. My 1st boat didn't have trailering struts. I used to lie it flat when I trailered any distance.

Back