Trolling Motor

txflash

Reaction score
I am looking to installing a trolling motor on my 20 ft Bennington and asking how much thrust do I need in the motor, been told 55-110 lbs?

I have basically the same question, as well what is the recommended shaft length? Mine is a 20 SFI.

Deck Hand welcome aboard.

I have a 2012 24'SF with a 75hp Merc 4 stroke, and a 70 or 75lb thrust minn kota 60 inch shaft i will try to answer your questions,

1) 0 to 55lb thrust is a 12 volt only unit meaning you only need one battery

2) 55lb thrust and up you are now into a 24 volt system meaning you need two batteries

not a big deal 24 volt gives you more power when turned all the up, do you need more than 55lb thrust do you have the room for two batteries, questions I cant really answer, I was told that i would not be happy with the 55lb thrust and to upgrade, very happy with the 70/75lb thrust you can probably get away with a 54 inch shaft but your motor will be all the down and only in the water by 10 inches or so, I chose the 60 inch shaft so I could bring my motor up onthe shaft and still have it in the water by 10inches or so.

your newer model motors are electronic and the shaft and all turn 360 degrees they are not cable driven, this is why i wanted some room to play with, hope this helps.

Back