Trolling motor

jabo

Reaction score
You guys with a 55# thrust trolling motor tell me if I will I regret not going with a 70# thrust . It will be on a 20' with 90 yamaha 4 stroke. I really don't want to spend the money on higher thrust and an extra battery if I can keep from it.

I was talking to a guy with a brand x boat the other day fishing in front of our place and he said he has a 55lb and it does great for him. I would bet his boat was a 20' model as well.

When I do mine I am going to add a combiner and have a dedicated trolling motor battery so I can always get back home after a day of fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting my trolling motor installed this week.   I decided on an 80 lb thrust Minnkota Riptide with Ipilot and 2 batteries for 24V, 60 inch shaft for my 22sfx.   Bow mounted with a sliding bracket to retract the motor when docking bow in.  It also allows removal of the motor with the removal of  one bolt.  I chose 80 based on dealer recommendation, talking to some other fishermen, and online research.  I wanted to sufficient oomph to manage a tall and heavy craft for windy conditions or currents in whichever bodies of water I will be operating in.  Here is an excerpt from Cabela's info on choosing a motor:

Simply put, the bigger (or taller) the boat, the more thrust you'll need to control it."The size and weight of your boat translates into your need for power (thrust) and endurance. The basic rule of thumb for determining the amount of thrust you need is five pounds of thrust for every 200 pounds of weight. Don't forget to include the weight of your boat's contents in the calculation. To be sure that you have enough power, take the boat's estimated weight and add in its maximum weight capacity. A boat that weighs 1,500 pounds, and has a maximum weight capacity of 1,200 pounds would need a motor with 67.5 pounds of thrust. (1,500 lbs. + 1,200 lbs. ÷ 200 = 13.5 x 5= 67.5)

Good luck to you.    

I had a 54 lb thrust on my old boat which was a 20ft. pontoon. It did good in most conditions. I plan to put it on my new one next summer after it gets sent back to have the floor and other stuff worked on. It was no barn burner but it kept the weight down and was perfect for the small rivers that we like to float around in here just to get off the Ohio for a bit. Not sure how it will work on the 21 SLX but since the people that bought my old boat did not want I guess I am going to have to use it on the new one. Not wasting 500$ because I know I will never get that out of it.

Sounds to me as if it were free. You sold the boat and kept the trolling motor?

Trolling motor installed.   MinnKota Riptide Terrova with Ipilot, retractable and removable bracket, hand remote, no foot controller.... Two batteries installed in the starboard bow compartment with a 2 bank charger.  Not yet wetted. I am looking forward to trying it out.  

I am thinking about how I can lock it up when I don't want to remove the motor.  It is only one bolt to remove, but still would need something to slow a wouldbe thief.  The sliding bracket is made by R&R industries; it has a spring-loaded knob on the right that allows it to extend over the edge of the deck for use and retract after stowing so that the motor is not hanging out, for some protection when docking...nice.    

Pictures uploaded in album "trolling motor".   

Mike

Trolling motor installed.   MinnKota Riptide Terrova with Ipilot, retractable and removable bracket, hand remote, no foot controller.... Two batteries installed in the starboard bow compartment with a 2 bank charger.  Not yet wetted. I am looking forward to trying it out.  

I am thinking about how I can lock it up when I don't want to remove the motor.  It is only one bolt to remove, but still would need something to slow a wouldbe thief.  The sliding bracket is made by R&R industries; it has a spring-loaded knob on the right that allows it to extend over the edge of the deck for use and retract after stowing so that the motor is not hanging out, for some protection when docking...nice.    

Pictures uploaded in album "trolling motor".   

Mike

Nice set up!

I hate to say it but.......You know if somebody wants to take it.........They are going to take it. I never had a trolling motor on any boat I've owned but are they to heavy or cumbersome to remove and take home?!?

Nice set up!

I hate to say it but.......You know if somebody wants to take it.........They are going to take it. I never had a trolling motor on any boat I've owned but are they to heavy or cumbersome to remove and take home?!?

You are right about that but we don't have to make it easy.  This one is large but portable enough for one man to remove and throw in a pickup (or boat).   Locks will definitely slow them down.

Perhaps a little off topic, but....

Engineering could think the trolling motor battery location through more thoroughly.

One battery is nowhere near sufficient for the serious fisherman.

Most will want 24V, in fact many now are going to 36V.

There are very few options when trying to place 3 group 27 DC batteries along with an on-board charger.

C'mon Bennington!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a little off topic, but....

Engineering could think the trolling motor battery location through more thoroughly.

One battery is nowhere near sufficient for the serious fisherman.

Most will want 24V, in fact many now are going to 36V.

There are very few options when trying to place 3 group 27 DC batteries along with an on-board charger.

C'mon Bennington!!!!!!

2nd that emotion....   I condidered 36v but did not want batteries everywhere.  Fitting two with trays, and charger with wiring into the bow storage was tight and a little messy but preferable to taking up other spaces (pic in gallery).  I now need to figure a "bounce buster" to protect the cantilevered shaft when stowed when in waves or trailering.  I did not want the permanent support sitting in the middle of the bow deck.  I have seen a home made solution that is a 6 inch piece of PVC attached to the upper TM shaft that keeps it from bouncing ... that is an option or just stick a fender under it when underway.  

Another exciting feature of Ipilot on the motor is the built-in GPS that automates and remembers your tracks and will "hold" you in a spot when you push the button on the remote.  An expensive anchor if you will.  

That is a really nice setup. I'm still brainstorming how I will do mine and what to go with. I think I might make my mount and try my buddies Motorguide W55 on it and see how it does. Regardless my mount will be universal. What do the bass boat guys use to attach theirs when they are ripping at 70mph on the water?

That is a really nice setup. I'm still brainstorming how I will do mine and what to go with. I think I might make my mount and try my buddies Motorguide W55 on it and see how it does. Regardless my mount will be universal. What do the bass boat guys use to attach theirs when they are ripping at 70mph on the water?

31BO79VFavL._AC_US160_.jpg
 Here is a common type of post and clamp made by RAM, often mounted to the gunwale.  Definitely need some kind of support at those speeds or in rough water.

Back