Trouble with Garmin Striker 4

Marketblandings

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just recently took delivery of my 21SLX. All is well except the Garmin Striker 4. 

It stops reading depths and just blinks the last depth reading if I go past about half throttle. 

I have spent a couple hours with the manual and the settings. I have searched the internet... but can't solve it. 

This has to be fixed since we boat on the Mississippi River which changes level all the time.

Anyone have an idea?

The transducer may be mounted to high on the back of the pontoon.  That was the issue with my old Hummingbird depth finder.  I lowered it about 2 inches and it worked at all speeds.  I know have a Striker 4 and don't have any issues.  Upon delivery and before the dealer launched the boat I checked the mounting location of the transducer.

Welcome and +1 on the transducer adjustment.

My Striker 4 works fine until I reach 30, then the depth reading starts blinking.  I rarely go that fast so I have opted to "leave well enough alone."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Garmin and it loses the depth at around 13 MPH. My dealer was supposed to lower the transducer over the winter so hopefully that will help. However, from what I've read, this is a problem with pontoons due to "dirty water" (I think they call it).

Or if you hit a dead fish or small log, it can tilt the transducer back so it is no longer level. I keep mine loose. I have to reach down and adjust it once in a while, but I figure it's less likely to break off.

Interesting post.  We have the Simrad system on our new Bennington.  When we go the boat, they said the depth finder wont read depth's when we get past about 10-15 mph. Seems odd to me, but I didn't question it.  I just assumed that's how it goes with a pontoon.  Perhaps its just a mounting issue.

Probably wont mess with it this year, but I might have them try lowering it when I get it winterized and put into storage.  That said, given the nature of my lake and our boating, this probably isn't an issue.  When we are going fast, we are no where near a shore area and well out into the lake.  Thus, probably wont be an issue for us either.

I have a Garmin GPS and my transducer sits just below the tube, if you took a straight edge off the tube the whole transducer would be below, normally hold good till about 30mph or so and as Kaydano stated, I leave it a little loose in case it hits anything

All I need is a Phillips screw driver to adjust the height.

I recently installed a Striker 4 on our boat. Have not had it out yet...

Has anyone had success resolving the problem where you get over 15 mph or so and the striker 4 depth just blinks at the last good reading?  This has been a problem for me from day one.  I wouldn't really care but when I get back toward the dock I need to power the unit off and back on to get a good reading at idle as I have to navigate a lot of shallow areas to get in the slip.  I have not yet tried adjusting the entire transducer down, may have to wait for end of season to do that.

Mine works great up to about 40 mph, then it stops. :)

You don't have it adjusted right.  It might be tilted, or not low enough.

When mine does that it's because I hit a stick or dead fish or something. I just jump in and readjust it.  I keep it a little loose so it moves instead of breaks. 

By the way I absolutely love the Striker 4. It's amazing how much you can do with it over the old Echo. 

I also have the Striker 4 and have noticed the gps function needs to be turned on each time I use it. Is this normal?

Has anyone had success resolving the problem where you get over 15 mph or so and the striker 4 depth just blinks at the last good reading? This has been a problem for me from day one. I wouldn't really care but when I get back toward the dock I need to power the unit off and back on to get a good reading at idle as I have to navigate a lot of shallow areas to get in the slip. I have not yet tried adjusting the entire transducer down, may have to wait for end of season to do that.

I realize this thread is quite old, but did you ever get this sorted dmhflash?

We've never had luck with ours since we bought it almost two years ago, and it has just gotten progressively worse. We are also in WI, and we keep our boat in the water in our slip, so we thought perhaps it was just all of the river scum that collects on everything. However, cleaning didn't help, adjusting didn't help.

We planned to just replace the transducer this past weekend, only to find that the screws which connect the transducer to the mounting bracket are some oddball screw head drive type, (Allen wrench didn't work, but doesn't quite look like a Robertson either).

I'm just totally out of ideas here... so I thought I'd revisit this old thread to see if you (or others) ever had a solution that worked?

Thanks in advance!

Back