Unable to mount Porta Potty

Greg23LSB

Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone thinking of ordering a 23 LSB, there is nowhere to mount the porta potty. It was an essential option for me but much to my surprise when I picked up the boat it was in the box in the center toon storage. After trying every conceivable position under the swingback it can't be mounted with the privacy curtain. The only position it fits where the rear cushion and privacy curtain frame can be closed is half over a plastic access hatch, so the mounting hardware would need to be attached to the hatch and would not hold. All confirmed by dealer. We just leave it lose in the back under the swingback which is less than ideal but at least it's onboard. I'd have thought they would have planned it out better for the cost of the boat and what we've seen on other manufacturers' setups. Every time we open the swingback cushion we have to jockey the porta potty around to get the cushion closed.

One of the nice things with my RL is the extra large privacy area. We actually use a regular full sized commode with Sanibags. Our house is right on the water but with our lake 29 miles long it is a must for bar hopping

Is there a way you can fashion some sort of a basic bottom frame (using 2 x 4s?) so that the porta potty could mount to that newly made frame instead of the hatch? We did something similar on our boat (though it's not a swingback) just to elevate the porta potty to make it more comfortable to use.

Unfortunately whatever I do will block the access hatch or interfere with the swingback closing due to the privacy curtain frame. It's just a poorly thought out design. We'll likely just keep going with it lose back there and hope nothing happens to it.

Bennington has many models so that people can choose the one that fits their needs. Not trying to put you down but would like to point out to those that are reading this forum in anticipation of purchasing a boat how important it is to take your time to understand what your needs are and then select the model that best fits

The storage under the swingback is shallow indeed, so to echo all the comments already - understand the dimensions of everything involved (porta potti or otherwise) before purchasing.

In my case I knew a standard Dometic would not fit so I just went with a 5-gal bucket and tub of kitty litter stowed in the center toon. Best seat in the house!

I merely posted as an FYI for folks who may be interested in this model, nothing more. Intuitively, one would draw the conclusion that if it's an available option offered by the manufacturer, it fits. Perhaps that was my mistake.

After a bit of research - I opted for the fold up porta potty. Easy to use, much easier to toss the bag vs clean the cartridge. For the few times it is used, it has been a real winner. And, it actually sits much taller than most cartridge potties, which is nice. However, it does really accommodate multiple uses as the potty is too tall when setup - we have left the curtain and toilet setup on some occasions when just floating.

We had the same issue of porta-potty not fitting well on our 2022 23SL with L furniture. i thought there would be alot of space in the large-looking room. However, the battery and cables where mounted in the center, so very little room for porta-potty. I moved the battery and cable location and all fits well. Overall a well engineered boat but they missed on this feature, and a couple other things.......

Attachments

• IMG_20220709_083641807_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220709_083641807_HDR.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 43
I was also searching for a way to add a porta potty to my privacy curtain area. Mine's in a different spot up front, but I only had about 12" of height to work with, in order to be able to shut the curtain and leave the porta potty stored there.

Not sure of the height of the area you're working with, but this is the shortest one I could find that was a standard porta potty. At Powell, they have many pump-out places to clean out holding tanks, but only a couple of places to dump trash, so we didn't want to mess with the bucket and bag method. I use the bucket method for the Sprinter van, but it wasn't going to work for the boat.

One of the nice things with my RL is the extra large privacy area. We actually use a regular full sized commode with Sanibags. Our house is right on the water but with our lake 29 miles long it is a must for bar hopping
You had me a "bar hopping"!

Back