Underwater & Side Light Heads up!

G

Geewest

With summer here and the weather warming up and people staying out later using there Underwater Lights, Side Lights and Even Cup holder light's @ night I wanted to do a "Public Service Announcement"

If your under way or even parked while running your blue lights you can be stopped and given a free safety inspection or as I like to call it "The Shake Down" The shake down is code for when you get stopped by Law Enforcement and they ask for these items. License and Reg, How many life jackets on board, Where is your "Throw" is it near by?, let’s see your Fire Extinguisher, Is it charged and up to date?, Have you been drinking? If so how many? The list can go on and on, Depending if you’re good to go and have all you items in line you can be on your way or just get a ticket or in some trouble. These facts below are to inform you and try and keep you safe and out of trouble.

(IN CALIFORNINA) but I’m pretty sure you will find the laws to be the same in your state,

#1 Blue lights are strictly for the use of Law Enforcement. In the law enforcement world flashing blue lights tell or are supposed to tell other boaters 5-mph and stay 200 feet away. So when you are parked or under way and running ANY blue light Law enforcement has the right to come have a talk with you. Now some agencies enforce this rule and some don't. But bottom line is if you’re going to be running your Blue lights make sure you have everything in check.

#2 Docking Light's are for Docking NOT Navigating. If you’re underway and your running you white docking light's so you can see better again you have been warned you can be pulled over and given "The Shake Down".

#3 Any other light besides 1 red and 1 green going forward and one round white light @ the highest point at the back is against the law and you can be pulled over and given "The Shake Down” Law Enforcement says any other light configuration (becide's what's listed above) gives other boaters conflicting signals, And you know what can come next!!!! Yes you guessed it "The Shake Down"

#4 Your Anchor Light. The switch on your dash has 3 Positions all the way forward for when your underway, You will have the Red & Green nav lights on and the Round white light at the back all going. This tells other boaters "Your Moving". Rocking the switch all the way back Turns off the front Red and Green and leaves the round white light on. When you stopped and parked (this go's for fishing) your rear white light must be ON. This is your anchor light. It tells other boats your Anchored or Stopped.

Underwater lights and interior lights are fun party lights but must be used with caution, in some applications they can limit your ability to see give other boaters mixed signals and be a distraction to the driver. My advice is to use your "add on lights" while parked to avoid all of the above.

You may be asking yourself How does this guy know so much about rules when it comes to lights. This is my wake boat below

Last edited:
I just think the water patrol is P.O d. because your lights look better than than theirs.

Bad A$$ boat though, I hope you have a back up battery system, LOL.

Gee Whizz GeeWest, that was cool. At home you do the Christmas Lights as well, we have spme syreets that require cops directing traffic due to the show they put on

Gee, did you get busted again? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I got The Shake Down one time and I used that time to find out Do's and Dont's. Then I double checked on everything I was told.

DSC04676.jpg

DSC04686.jpg

I will have to take a picture from the view point of a on comming boat. You can clearly see the Blue light comming at you even though its facing backwards

Great Post, and Nice boat! Im getting ready to do blue LED on mine this weekend, just not to the extent you have LOL Thanks for the heads up and good looking out!

I think it's cool that Bennington give us the option to add these items (lights) Just didn't know if there is enough info out their to keep people out of trouble. In this day and age company's have to place warnings on Hair dryers NOT to use them in the shower for risk of electric shock. I would hate for Bennington to get some sort of bad rap for Not letting people know what should be common knowledge.

There is no less than 15 warning labels all over my new boat but none of them warn you of the most obvious. "know the rules of the road before you get going"

Back