Using aluminum extrusions for better storage options

lostpacket

Reaction score
I'm hoping to solve two problems we're having, and I think using aluminum extrusions might work the best because their light, strong, weatherproof, and flexible. I'm looking for opinions or possible alternatives.

The first problem is our cooler and wasted space.We take the cooler and and store it here which works well as we don't use this door but we can't put things on top (towels, shoes, dry food) so I want to build a little shelf that the cooler sits on and leaves space open at the bottom. The shelf would just sit there and the cooler would basically hold it down. I would fit it perfectly to this space and being aluminum I could leave it there and wouldn't have to worry about rust.

The second issue is the changing area that we just use for storage. Again I want to build out a teired system where maybe there is a bottom section that the anchor could slide into and then a thing top part for noodles and toys. I could use wood but that's heavy and ugly, I could weld something for cheaper but that would add weight and have to worry about it rusting. The Ai would work well here to as I can git it perfectly and it would be modular.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.43.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.43.38 AM.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.42.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.42.20 AM.png
    653.1 KB · Views: 100
Another option could be HDPE, Starboard or Seaboard. If you have someone local that does waterjet cutting they could cut the pieces for you and all you need to do is assemble using SS screws. You can do the modeling in a free web-based program like SketchUp and give it to them for production.

how about getting creative and use some 1/2 or 1 pvc to build some framing/sheving?

Extrude t-slots like 80/20 might be to your liking. 3" high tray to hold the cooler with legs extending below as long as you want. Can secure to the deck as well.

I second the t-slots.

I used to work for a company that manufactured them. It is fairly expensive stuff but extremely easy to use, has a lot of great options for connectors/parts, and is readily available. All you need is a decent saw and you are good to go!

https://www.mcmaster.com/t-slotted-framing/

Another option could be HDPE, Starboard or Seaboard. If you have someone local that does waterjet cutting they could cut the pieces for you and all you need to do is assemble using SS screws. You can do the modeling in a free web-based program like SketchUp and give it to them for production.
Never heard of starboard, intersting. It seems like HDPE is cheaper and that would make for good shelving. Thanks

how about getting creative and use some 1/2 or 1 pvc to build some framing/sheving?
Thought about PVC but the look doesn't look great. I might use it for the changing area as its much cheaper but I like the aluminum look for where it's visible.

Extrude t-slots like 80/20 might be to your liking. 3" high tray to hold the cooler with legs extending below as long as you want. Can secure to the deck as well.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I ordered some 3' pieces to try and frame it out and I plan on using plastic corners as I don't need it super strong.

Back