VHF handheld radios

prd2hnt

Reaction score
Do you have one?

Which one?

Have you used it?

We do, Uniden Mystic vhf/gps, never had to. And.....the one we have is discontinued.

We have two:  Standard Horizon HX850 (discontinued - replaced with HX870), and WestMarine VHF160.  We use them everytime we go out on the boat (radio check as a minimum).  HX850/870 have built-in GPS as well as DSC.  WM160 is just a VHF radio.  We keep them in our ditch bags.

I carry the Standard HX870.  Never had to use it. I bring it along and usually listen to traffic while we are anchored. 

Icom 51A Plus.  I use it on local 2 meter, and even more so on DSTAR.  It's a 5 watt handheld but I have talked around the world on it via DSTAR, which accesses the internet.  It is an amazing radio.  I currently don't use it on my boat but I would if it was a larger lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two handhelds, Standard Horizon and a Cobra.  Both work fine with about the same range.  I'm also a Ham but there aren't enough repeaters around the lake and town accessible while boating to do much good so I just stick with the VHF radios and cell phone (spotty coverage).

I have a old Uniden that I bought in 99 and still works great.

But on out lake I've never hardly hear anyone use it.

I have it just in case we go to a big water lake or the river.

I had one on the old boat but so far have not gotten one for the new boat. On our boat never needed as on the river you really never to far away from something it seems. The only place I may need one is talking to the lockmaster but generally we just pull the chain or call on a cell phone when we decide to lock through. 

mbhenry1955 I see your on brookville. We are just over in KY and boat on the river a bunch down below rising sun. We plan to get out to brookville this year but not sure when. With the rain and cooler weather the river will probably be up to high to get on this weekend. Can't believe it is going to be 73 of a high monday!! We will have to meet up sometime in the future!!

We bought a Uniden Atlantis 270 a few years back (a requirement for the boaters association we are in) and it works good.  Granted we are only on a 5800 acre lake but the coverage was more an adequate for what we are using it for.  If you needed assistance out on the water you can call into our radio network (if patrol boats are out) and some help will be on the way.  This year there are only 2 boats left in the group so our radio network is kind of limited.  Normally on our lake if you need help you are just a hand/arm wave away from someone that will stop and lend assistance for a tow. 

Two years ago we towed in a virtually new boat (less than 2 months old) over the july 4th weekend.  They didn't think they could thank us enough and wanted to pay for the tow.  Both the wife and my response was simply "pay it forward" and if you see someone out on the lake that needs a hand take a minute out of your day and help them out.  Funny thing was the guy said 2 weeks prior he was on the other end of a tow rope and was pulling in a stalled boat like them.  

Good karma goes a long way on the lake :D

Steve21slx, Brookville lake has been crowded because of the river being high.

It was about 3ft up this past Saturday and Sunday and the wind was creating 1 to 2ft whitecaps.

The water temp is about 78, so come on up and enjoy.

Hope to see you. We keep our boat at Kents Marine.

Back