Warranty on Playpen Cover

Southern R20

Reaction score
First time poster having just purchased a like new 2015 2050 RL, twin eliptical package, Yamaha 150 and with 47 hours. According to Bennington, it's the only R 2050 model made in 2015. Must have been a carryover from 2014. Second time Bennington owner having bought new and sold several years back a 2001 R 2275. Very excited about my new to me Benny.
Question concerning warranty on my playpen cover and my furniture covers. I put my playpen on a couple days ago hoping to protect my interior from the rain. Noticed that I could almost see through the cover in some spots it was so thin. Needless to say it didn't keep the water out. The furniture covers look to be in about the same shape. The cover on my 2001 2275 was excellent and kept my interior dry it's whole life. My new boats cover is definitely different material and not near the quality of my old one.
Do I have any warranty left on my cover? Being a second owner, do I have any warranty rights? If I replace the cover with the same, will it be waterproof because the material doesn't look very robust to me.
Thinking about biting the bullet and just getting a sunbrella cover from National Boat Covers.
Anyone had experience with Nation Boat Covers?
Looking forward to participating on this forum while enjoying our Bennington.
Thanks in advance for your reply and experience.

Contact dealer concerning warranty. I don’t “think” you would have coverage on the cover but I could be wrong. The covers are not to be made waterproof, else the moisture trapped underneath would not be able to escape. They are more a dust/dirt/bird dropping protectant. You could make it more water resistant with 303 fabric guard. Water tends to “bead off” by using it.

Last edited:
Welcome! Congratulations. Ditto what Semper said above in regards to your questions. When you can, post pictures of your ”new to you” Bennington.

Semp is right. Waterproof your cover by using a waterproofing spray. I've used Starbrite waterproofing spray on both the cover and the carpet. The water used to bead up like a newly waxed car. On the other hand you can't go wrong with a Sunbrella cover. Had one made by a local canvas shop. Premium fabric and it "breathes". You don't need vents.

I had a similar issue with my 3 yr old cover. Seemed to be thinning and had few tears in the seams. The dealer got it replaced under warranty for me during the off season this year.

The new cover seems to be made stronger and I noticed after a rain storm that it didn’t let any rain through even after pooling in back.

I checked with the dealer on whether they knew if the cover had been pre-treated with some type of fabric guard and they told me it was a new design that was water proof.

I’ve been meaning to check into this a little further as I’m curious if it affects whether I treat it in the future or not.

Anybody have any similar guidance on a new cover?

First time poster having just purchased a like new 2015 2050 RL, twin eliptical package, Yamaha 150 and with 47 hours. According to Bennington, it's the only R 2050 model made in 2015. Must have been a carryover from 2014. Second time Bennington owner having bought new and sold several years back a 2001 R 2275. Very excited about my new to me Benny.
Question concerning warranty on my playpen cover and my furniture covers. I put my playpen on a couple days ago hoping to protect my interior from the rain. Noticed that I could almost see through the cover in some spots it was so thin. Needless to say it didn't keep the water out. The furniture covers look to be in about the same shape. The cover on my 2001 2275 was excellent and kept my interior dry it's whole life. My new boats cover is definitely different material and not near the quality of my old one.
Do I have any warranty left on my cover? Being a second owner, do I have any warranty rights? If I replace the cover with the same, will it be waterproof because the material doesn't look very robust to me.
Thinking about biting the bullet and just getting a sunbrella cover from National Boat Covers.
Anyone had experience with Nation Boat Covers?
Looking forward to participating on this forum while enjoying our Bennington.
Thanks in advance for your reply and experience.
Hi, just bought a new to me 22ssx. We need to get a playpen cover, as well as new full cover Bimini. What did you ultimately do for replacement? Were you pleased with your cover? Also looking forward to this forum and the knowledge and experience shared.

Welcome to the forum Charlie. Get a local canvas shop make you a custom Sunbrella mooring cover and Bimini. It's a premium breathable fabric resulting in not needing any vents.

Hi, just bought a new to me 22ssx. We need to get a playpen cover, as well as new full cover Bimini. What did you ultimately do for replacement? Were you pleased with your cover? Also looking forward to this forum and the knowledge and experience shared.
Charlie,
I decided to buy a Carver semi-custom cover. A few of the owners here on the forum bought one with good reviews. While not as good as Sunbrella custom, it doesn't have the high price tag either.
I just received it and have yet to put it on to see how well it fits. Will let everyone know if there is any problems with it.

agreed, planning to have cover made with vents
If you have a Sunbrella cover made you don't need vents because the fabric breathes........

If you have a Sunbrella cover made you don't need vents because the fabric breathes........

Maybe not required, but I think they are still a good idea. My canvas lady who has been making covers for 25+ years always includes them. I've had her make new Sunbrella covers for my former and current Benny's and she included 4 each time. She would have to add a plastic cup to hold the poles anyway, so why not use one that is dual purpose?

You can't see the 4 vents from this angle, but I they are there.new cover 052720.jpg

Last edited:
Back