Warranty transfer on a 2018

sunedog

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am buying a 2018 Benny from a private seller. Can someone verify how long the stem to stern warranty will be available to me after transfer? I know the stem to stern warranty increased from 5 (or 7 years with forum membership) to 10 years beginning in 2017. But I need to find out if the remaining stem to stern warranty is reduced for a second owner. I asked the seller and he just gave me a link to the current warranty page of the website.

This is the exact wording from the warranty paperwork that came with my current boat delivered in 2016:

"Original retail purchasers of 2013 and newer product who also elect to join Club Bennington at time of retail registration (or are existing Club Bennington members) are entitled to Seven (7) years of stem to stern coverage. In the event a warranty transfer occurs the remaining balance of the standard Five (5) year warranty will apply..."

If someone with a 2018 year boat can take a pic of the applicable section of their actual warranty document, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a recent warranty statement, the specifics are available to download near the bottom left

Thank you, Jack. I already have the current warranty statement. I need to know the specifics of what it was in 2018. If 10 years stem to stern transfers to me, I will be covered until 2028. If, for example, only 7 years stem to stern for a subsequent owner, the warranty would expire in 2025. That's a huge difference.

I know the structural warranty is 10 years, even for a subsequent owner. I am talking about the stem to stern warranty that covers the most likely failures (electronics, floor covering, upholstery, mooring cover, etc.).

I'm pretty sure it reduces to 5 years for the next owner, so therefore being out of warranty. Jack is correct though, best to ask directly from Bennington.

I recently purchased a 2017 and was told I have the remainder of the 10 year warranty. The dealer transferred the warranty and has ordered a new Bimini, radio, gauge and ski pylon all covered under warranty.

My dream boat has sailed...without me.

It was a 2018 23RSB with a 350 Verado and only 93 hours on it. Beautiful boat with all the bells and whistles on a high end trailer. It was on Lake Greenwood in SC and I found the boat in the Benny owner's Facebook group.

I drove 30 miles to see the boat and had multiple back and forth calls, texts and messages with the seller (he lived 40 miles past where the boat was so he didn't meet me in person). He and I agreed on a price. I committed to buy it and he committed to sell it to me. I tried to give him a down payment but he said it wasn't necessary. When I tried to arrange to meet him at his bank to do the wire transfer of the funds and do the paperwork, he ghosted me. After a couple of days, it was clear he had reneged on his promise and sold it to someone else.

I screwed up. I didn't insist on a written pre-sale contract with consideration to make it a binding contract. I trusted him. We interacted a lot and I perceived him to be a man of his word, like I am. I was wrong.

It's all forum member Trippernsc's fault. ;) :p When I bought my current dream boat from him, he and I kept our word with each other. I was lulled into thinking all Benny owners were like him.

I recently purchased a 2017 and was told I have the remainder of the 10 year warranty. The dealer transferred the warranty and has ordered a new Bimini, radio, gauge and ski pylon all covered under warranty.
Glad they are taking care of you. You should read the details of the actual warranty paperwork that should have come with your boat. There is a stem to stern warranty that covers everything including electronics, floor covering, upholstery, mooring cover, etc.. That is different than the structural warranty that covers toons, playpen, gates, motor pod, deck, etc. In my case, my stem to stern warranty expired after 7 years but my structural warranty is good for 10 years after the original boat delivery date.

My dream boat has sailed...without me.

It was a 2018 23RSB with a 350 Verado and only 93 hours on it. Beautiful boat with all the bells and whistles on a high end trailer. It was on Lake Greenwood in SC and I found the boat in the Benny owner's Facebook group.

I drove 30 miles to see the boat and had multiple back and forth calls, texts and messages with the seller (he lived 40 miles past where the boat was so he didn't meet me in person). He and I agreed on a price. I committed to buy it and he committed to sell it to me. I tried to give him a down payment but he said it wasn't necessary. When I tried to arrange to meet him at his bank to do the wire transfer of the funds and do the paperwork, he ghosted me. After a couple of days, it was clear he had reneged on his promise and sold it to someone else.

I screwed up. I didn't insist on a written pre-sale contract with consideration to make it a binding contract. I trusted him. We interacted a lot and I perceived him to be a man of his word, like I am. I was wrong.

It's all forum member Trippernsc's fault. ;) :p When I bought my current dream boat from him, he and I kept our word with each other. I was lulled into thinking all Benny owners were like him.
Sorry that happened! Sounds like a nice boat and surprised me you were thinking on upgrading.

I drove 30 miles to see the boat and had multiple back and forth calls, texts and messages with the seller (he lived 40 miles past where the boat was so he didn't meet me in person). He and I agreed on a price. I committed to buy it and he committed to sell it to me. I tried to give him a down payment but he said it wasn't necessary.
While not pleasant if you have it in any type of written form he legally has to provide the boat to you at that price agreed upon even if it means he has to re-purchase from the seller and he has to cover your legal costs. May not be worth the effort but if he could afford the boat he can afford to rectify his wrong doing.

and surprised me you were thinking on upgrading.
Wasn't looking for a new (to me) boat but saw that one was on FB Marketplace and wife really liked it. I was most interested in the low hours because mine is over 730 now. We love it and use it a lot. The 350 Verado was the icing on the cake.

if you have it in any type of written form he legally has to provide the boat to you at that price agreed upon even if it means he has to re-purchase from the seller and he has to cover your legal costs.
Thank you. Legally binding contract requires 1. offer 2. acceptance 3. consideration. I trusted the seller and did not push back when I tried to give him a down payment and he told me not to worry about -- he trusted ME. (HAW!). It was my mistake.

Back