Waterproofing cover

BucketsII

Reaction score
My pontoon cover is losing its ability to repel water. I would like to treat again with some waterproofing application but don't know what to buy since it is quite large. Can someone please make a recommendation? Thank you

303 fabric guard.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30674-Fa..._9?ie=UTF8&qid=1538945180&sr=8-9&keywords=303

With a hand sprayer
https://www.amazon.com/Solo-418-Erg...8&qid=1538945278&sr=8-5&keywords=hand+sprayer

71FPuebydTL._SL1500_.jpg

Make sure to spray it OFF the boat, set up some ladders or something in your yard to drape it over.

I use the same 303 and the sprayer that Jack M recommend. Works great and was easy to do.

I used a ladder, propane tank and a painters pole here . You and also use a fence if you have one ( be careful ) .I have also thought about putting snaps on trees and hanging the cover from a few trees ,dont know if that would hold it though
full

I spread it out over my trailer

I'm a huge fan of 303 Aerospace Protectant for my vinyl seats. Been using it for decades. Had to waterproof my cover early this spring so I bought a gallon of 303 Fabric guard on Amazon ($65) and applied it with my pump sprayer. I did not quite get the entire job done with one gallon. Had one panel left to do. Was anxious to launch the boat so I ran out looking for more locally. My favorite locally owned hardware store didn't have that, but they did carry Starbrite Waterproofing with PTEF so I picked up a quart bottle and went home and applied it. The difference is like night and day. When it rains, the one section I did with Starbrite beads like crazy and the 303 sections don't. My covered boat still gets pretty wet after a good rain, so I am concluding the 303 on the majority of the cover is not doing a good job. It's Starbrite for me from now on.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Interested to see other comment on this

I'm a huge fan of 303 Aerospace Protectant for my vinyl seats. Been using it for decades. Had to waterproof my cover early this spring so I bought a gallon of 303 Fabric guard on Amazon ($65) and applied it with my pump sprayer. I did not quite get the entire job done with one gallon. Had one panel left to do. Was anxious to launch the boat so I ran out looking for more locally. My favorite locally owned hardware store didn't have that, but they did carry Starbrite Waterproofing with PTEF so I picked up a quart bottle and went home and applied it. The difference is like night and day. When it rains, the one section I did with Starbrite beads like crazy and the 303 sections don't. My covered boat still gets pretty wet after a good rain, so I am concluding the 303 on the majority of the cover is not doing a good job. It's Starbrite for me from now on.
I have also used Starbrite with great results! I lay my cover the on the garage floor and apply it with a spray bottle. I use it to spray the carpet on our boat. Water beads right up......

I know this is old post however, so far I'm not impressed with 303 products. The cleaner does next to nothing, the protectant is "OK" and the waterproofing is practically non-existent. I may try the Starbrite. Thanks for the tip.

Back