Wet Carpet?

Ken H

Reaction score
I get 2-wet spots on the carpet in the middle of the boat while cruising from all the splashing under the boat. I have checked the tightness of all the crossmembers to the floor and all is good so is this normal or do I have to order a wave shield?

I am just worried about the floor being that wet all the time.

Ken

Ken, talk to your local Bennington dealer. There should be splash deflectors at the flooring seams, and they may have gotten 'removed' by underdeck spray. I think this would be a warranty issue, so check with your dealer :)

I get 2-wet spots on the carpet in the middle of the boat while cruising from all the splashing under the boat. I have checked the tightness of all the crossmembers to the floor and all is good so is this normal or do I have to order a wave shield?

Ken
Doesn't sound normal to me. I don't think that you should have to have a wave shield to keep the carpet dry. Have you talked to Bennington?

Ken
Ken, You wet the carpet ! Go to your room ! LOL

The economy of scale would be cause to consider trading for one that includes the wave shield and any other desired features. Installing the wave shield may be less than fun. Unfortunetly, if the plywood has absorbed water, the new wave shield is not seal fitted, installation of the new wave shield may not be a perfect solution.

Sorry !

Thanks for the feedback guys,

No I have not talked to Bennington yet but I have noticed that only every other crossmember has a deflector on them so that is where I will start first.

I just picked it up used last month so I am not sure a warranty even exists as it is a 2009 2075 SL.

Yeah, not being the original owner will effect the warranty part, unless it was transferred to you.

Regardless, the fix is still pretty straightforward, check the seams where the water is getting through, they may need to be caulked, and the a splash deflector installed.

Bennington uses a good marine grade plywood for their decks, so getting wet on the underside is not much of a concern, water being trapped by the carpet is a concern, as it will not dry as quickly.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks for the advice,

I have been using the wet vac on the carpet after every outing.

I will let ya know how she does after I pick up some deflectors from the dealer.

Cheers

Ken

Regardless, the fix is still pretty straightforward, check the seams where the water is getting through, they may need to be caulked, and the a splash deflector installed.

Bennington uses a good marine grade plywood for their decks, so getting wet on the underside is not much of a concern, water being trapped by the carpet is a concern, as it will not dry as quickly.
X2. Heck, while you're under the darn thing.......caulk em all!!! For the extra 5 minutes that it takes, it'll give ya a piece of mind if nothing more.

X2. Heck, while you're under the darn thing.......caulk em all!!! For the extra 5 minutes that it takes, it'll give ya a piece of mind if nothing more.
Good idea, I will pick up a couple of tubes of 3M 5200 and hit them all.

Mine is only on every other cross member as well. That is where each joint of plywood meets so there is no need for splash guards if there is no seam. I did have a wet spot appearing around the mount for my table. The dealer caulked it up real good which fixed the issue.

Mine is only on every other cross member as well. That is where each joint of plywood meets so there is no need for splash guards if there is no seam. I did have a wet spot appearing around the mount for my table. The dealer caulked it up real good which fixed the issue.
That makes sense because there are no signs on mine that there ever was splash guards on evry crossmember.

Tonight I am going to remove the guards and seal under them and reinstall.

Back