What is the pipe diameter of ski tow bar?

gigem

Reaction score
Can someone save me a trip to the marina and tell me the diameter of this pipe? I'm going to buy a flag mount for an ATV and mount a flag on the tow bar. Thanks! Tow bar is from the factory, and this is a 2010 model 24SLi if that matters any...

Attachments

• tow bar.jpg
    tow bar.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39
Mine is 1 1/2 inches

Attachments

• 20210803_062036.jpg
    20210803_062036.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 56
Let me know how they work as I’d like to get some for mine too

Those holders from Amazon work great. Just tighten all screws good and put some medium strength thread locker on them too. I bought them as flag holders. They are too big for a 1 inch flag pole to fit tightly, but a 1 inch piece of pvc with a 1 inch pvc coupling on top will fit tight in the rod holders and a flag pole fits nicely inside of the 1 inch pvc pipe.

Amazon rod holder works great! I adjusted the rod holder to be more vertical after I took the picture.

This is just a temporary cheap wooden flagpole from Lowes until my special rod holder flag pole comes in next week. I got this one in 4'

I also have a smaller flag coming. Already had this 3x5, it's too big. Need one size smaller.

20210901_093446.jpg

could you post a picture of your setup with the pvc?

Those holders from Amazon work great. Just tighten all screws good and put some medium strength thread locker on them too. I bought them as flag holders. They are too big for a 1 inch flag pole to fit tightly, but a 1 inch piece of pvc with a 1 inch pvc coupling on top will fit tight in the rod holders and a flag pole fits nicely inside of the 1 inch pvc pipe.

Does anyone have a link for black rod holders ? I'd like to put some on my ski bar similar to above but I had my ski bar powder coated black.

could you post a picture of your setup with the pvc?
I don't have a close up picture and won't be back to the boat for awhile unfortunately. It is simply a 1 inch pvc coupling glued to a piece of 1 inch pvc pipe that is about an inch shorter than the rod holders length. This allows the pvc pipe and coupling to be pushed down into the rod holder until it is tight. The coupling will be near the top of the rod holder after you finish with the pipe sticking down into the rod holder.

As others have done, I bought these, they work great and look fantastic. But if you do get them, make sure you tighten the inside screw that holds the holder to the clamp. You have to do it before you put the clamp on the ski pole. I lost one of them in the lake.

Do you think I could buy these stainless rod holders and paint them black? Can you spray paint "stainless"? Want to get these to match my black ski bar. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210620_140902392.jpg
    PXL_20210620_140902392.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 19
Do you think I could buy these stainless rod holders and paint them black? Can you spray paint "stainless"? Want to get these to match my black ski bar. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
I do not think there is any way to paint them as they are. You could but it would scratch and chip very quickly, possibly if you sandblasted them first? Maybe there would be a professional way to do it, auto body shop or motorcycle fabricator.

I think the better way would be to make some out of steel and then paint/powder coat them.

What if you took this split ring hanger and ran a bolt through a piece of pipe into the hanger, it looks like the hanger has a thread so you just need the right size bolt. Spray paint the whole thing black, then you clamp it on to the rail?

One issue I see is the pipe (flag holder) would want to spin. So you might need to figure out 2 hanger clamps per flag holder. Unless you know someone with a small welder, then you could just weld a bracket to the hanger (not the ski rail) to keep it from spinning.

Probably would cost you a total of $3 with the pipe, worth a try

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Piers-HSH-B112-1-1-2-Black-Split-Ring-Extension-Hanger
1651265592769.png

Sorry just saw Semper Fi's post, that seems way easier to accomplish what you want! I have been known to spend many hours making something that does not work as well as what I could have bought

Well if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!- Red Green

Thanks for all of the comments above. I ended up buying the rod holders recommended by big shooter above and they are really solid.

I used a wire brush drill attachment and scuffed them up, followed by self etching primer then flat black paint so it matches by black ski bar.

I've attached some pictures of the finished product. I haven't mounted them yet on the ski bar but will definitely post pics after I'm back at the boat for the 4th of July. Only time will tell if the paint chips, etc. Worth a shot!

Attachments

• painting rod holders.jpg
    painting rod holders.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 21
  • black rod holder.jpg
    black rod holder.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 21
Back