What is the right prop

DrJoe

Reaction score
I have an '05 tritoon 2575RL I/O with a 350 MAG V8. It has never had a top end of 40mph which is really disappointing. What is best prop for my boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Butchkid has a very similar boat. He has a Mercruiser 350 MAG 300 HP MPI and uses twin counter-rotating stainless steel 3 blade props; 15.5 x 24p in the Front position & 14.25 x 24p in the Rear position, which gets him 46mph @ 5000rpm.

You might start there and see how it works out.

I have the same model boat as Dr. Joe has (2005 tritoon 2575RL I/O) with the 5.7L Volvo Penta engine. I'm sure it has the stock prop on it (I am the 2nd owner). Mine to does not even come close to 40mph. Are you saying I can switch to the 2 prop model as well that you speak of?????

Keith

Nope, your Volvo is not a dual prop gearcase.

I suppose you could check into a possible retrofit if volvo offers a lower gearcase set up for dual counter rotating props.

Just had my boat out tonight with my GPS on.

My prop is a Quicksilver Thunderbolt 5004 R15.5 x 17P.

At full throttle and prop trimmed up nicely my tach shows about 4400-4500 and a top speed of 38.6mph (GPS reading).

Does this sound about right to anyone, especially the prop pitch and diameter?

Just had my boat out tonight with my GPS on.

My prop is a Quicksilver Thunderbolt 5004 R15.5 x 17P.

At full throttle and prop trimmed up nicely my tach shows about 4400-4500 and a top speed of 38.6mph (GPS reading).

Does this sound about right to anyone, especially the prop pitch and diameter?
For the 5.7 300 hp Merc WOT should be at 4800-5000 rpm. We are WOT at 4600. I am talking to Power Tech about a new prop. I will post results in a couple of weeks.

My local Bennington dealer just told me my prop is correct.

Back