What prop for more speed / power?

SFC J

Reaction score
I have a 2012, 115 Mercury four stroke EFI, with a 3 blade "12" pitch prop pushing a 2012 Bennington 2275GCW on elliptical pontoons with lifting strakes. Does anyone know what would the best pitch be to give the boat more power and speed? It runs like a tub with 4-6 adults trying to tow a tube. As big as the engine is, 1. I wish I would have got the 150 HP at a minimum, and 2. I cant believe people buy anything less than a 115. With two adults and full of fuel, it runs like a champ! If you know a good/inexpensive company to purchase from, that would help also. THANX!

I have a 2012, 115 Mercury four stroke EFI, with a 3 blade "12" pitch prop pushing a 2012 Bennington 2275GCW on elliptical pontoons with lifting strakes. Does anyone know what would the best pitch be to give the boat more power and speed? It runs like a tub with 4-6 adults trying to tow a tube. As big as the engine is, 1. I wish I would have got the 150 HP at a minimum, and 2. I cant believe people buy anything less than a 115. With two adults and full of fuel, it runs like a champ! If you know a good/inexpensive company to purchase from, that would help also. THANX!
As you read the forum you will find the prop selection is an trial and error process. Delta Propeller Company 877-238-8214 in Cleves OH sells Powertech props. The props are a good price point compared to other stainless steel props. They also have a return policy that is fair if the prop isn't right for the boat. Call them and discuss your needs. The PowerTech props have a goood reputation on this forum. I bought a 4 bladed stainless for our boat 3 weeks ago from Delta.

What is your current prop and rpm and what speed. I have the same boat but a optimax 150 pro xs. I run a 15x15 mercury enertia prop. Rpm is about 5700 light load. 5300 heavy load

Todd

As you read the forum you will find that prop selection is a trial and error process. Delta Propeller Company 877-238-8214 in Cleves OH sells Powertech props. The props are a good price point compared to other stainless steel props. They also have a return policy that is fair if the prop isn't right for the boat. Call them and discuss your needs. The PowerTech props have a goood reputation on this forum. I bought a 4 bladed stainless for our boat 3 weeks ago from Delta. The right prop will help but more horsepower is the real solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the same boat only 2011. Ours came with a 14x13 Black Max "Extra Cup". It worked ok with a light load, but horrible with a heavy load. Put a Mercury Spitfire 4 blade this summer. I have not been able to due any comparison tests because we have always had a heavier load than my tests with the original prop. Anyway, with approx 1200lbs on board I was hitting 6000 rpm at 27mph on the gps.

I think our prop is right on (or very close). I don’t have your exact setup, but I do have the same motor. See info in my signature space below.

I should add that our top speed is 35MPH, at 6400 RPM, 3 adults, 1 kid, 3/4 tank of gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back