Where is the Fuse for the Gauge Lights, 2018 Bennington SSX.

murphy275

Reaction score
161 Bulbs changed 3 times. My Gauges work, Trim, RPM, Fuel. Just the Instrument lights don't come on

Did you check the breakers on the helm ?

Did you check the breakers on the helm ?
I have (6) Buss Fuses at the Helm. These I believe are for the Toggle Switches that operate the radio, depth, nav & anchor, well (na), and accessory. They all appear to be working as the Toggles light up when switched. All my gauges work, Trim, Gas, and RPM. The problem is the Gauge lights do not work. I looked under the Dash and did not see and in-line Fuses. On the Battery there is (blk & red) wires that are connected properly. The Red wire has an inline breaker/fuse and a small button. I am assuming these wires power up the gauges, am I correct? It just seems weird that again all gauges and toggles work but the Instrument Lights do not. I changes these bulbs 3 times first trying cross referenced LED's, and then went back to the original #161 Bulbs, no Luck. Thank You

It does seem weird that all gauges work but the instrument lights do not. On my 2021 SLX the power for both the gages and the gauge lights come from the key switch. The power wire is purple with the gauge lights teed into it. The power from the key switch has a hidden fuse but we do not have to go there. Obviously the power for your gage lights come from a different source because your gauges work. My best guess is the power to the gauge lights come from the anchor light switch. Is the switch on? All of the gauge lights will be teed together. Follow that wire. Where does it lead. Hope this helps.

It does seem weird that all gauges work but the instrument lights do not. On my 2021 SLX the power for both the gages and the gauge lights come from the key switch. The power wire is purple with the gauge lights teed into it. The power from the key switch has a hidden fuse but we do not have to go there. Obviously the power for your gage lights come from a different source because your gauges work. My best guess is the power to the gauge lights come from the anchor light switch. Is the switch on? All of the gauge lights will be teed together. Follow that wire. Where does it lead. Hope this helps.
Yes you are correct as the Gauge Lights should come on with the Rocker Switch, Nav/Anchor, but they don't. Im going to take one gauge out and plug it back in, flip toggle switch and check the brass pads where the Bulb Socket mates when in place. I'll see if I get a reading of voltage on those Pads. Just weird that all three have no lights. The Gauge below is "Trim" and it's brand new and works fine. I am not sure which Wire power's up the Light's. There is absolutely no corrosion on Plug or Pins on the Gauges.

Thanks

TRIM GAUGE.jpg

Attachments

• TRIM GAUGE-2.jpg
    TRIM GAUGE-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1
Yes you are correct as the Gauge Lights should come on with the Rocker Switch, Nav/Anchor, but they don't. Im going to take one gauge out and plug it back in, flip toggle switch and check the brass pads where the Bulb Socket mates when in place. I'll see if I get a reading of voltage on those Pads. Just weird that all three have no lights. The Gauge below is "Trim" and it's brand new and works fine. I am not sure which Wire power's up the Light's. There is absolutely no corrosion on Plug or Pins on the Gauges.

Thanks

View attachment 34337

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7342.jpg
    IMG_7342.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7343.jpg
    IMG_7343.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 11
So if you expand the picture's you will see (underneath the Rocker Switches) 3 kind of like buttons. I am assuming these are Buss Fuses but I can't figure out how to access them. Buttons are kind of soft pushing, no resistance while pushing.

Thank you for the insight, my gauges went out on my 2021 20SVL…. Where is this hidden fuse?

Thank you for the insight, my gauges went out on my 2021 20SVL…. Where is this hidden fuse?
On my 2021 S model access to the fuse that protects the gauges required fence removal. The hidden fuse is patched into the engine harness that dangles below the key switch. Power for everything else in the console comes directly from the battery with the circuit breakers and switch’s visible from inside the console. if you squeeze into the console it is darn near impossible to access (or even see) the hidden fuse in the small space below the engine control. Fortunately the side of the console next to the fence is wide open once the fence is slid back. I learned all this in order to add a motor two years ago and now recently I opened it up again to add power steering.

On my 2021 S model access to the fuse that protects the gauges required fence removal. The hidden fuse is patched into the engine harness that dangles below the key switch. Power for everything else in the console comes directly from the battery with the circuit breakers and switch’s visible from inside the console. if you squeeze into the console it is darn near impossible to access (or even see) the hidden fuse in the small space below the engine control. Fortunately the side of the console next to the fence is wide open once the fence is slid back. I learned all this in order to add a motor two years ago and now recently I opened it up again to add power steering.
Below is a photo showing the console access when the fence is slid back.1686242298740.jpeg

just a thought. could you remove the speaker from the front and access it that way?

just a thought. could you remove the speaker from the front and access it that way?
Good point, maybe you could. You would need to get both hands in there to remove the fuse. I think the reason that we have not heard about this serviceability issue is because the gauges probably never short out.

Back