Where to mount VHF radio antenna

tcpip95

Reaction score
I am installing a fixed-mount VHF radio on board my new 24SSL, and am wondering where would be the best place to install the antenna. Where have other users installed their antenna, what type did you use, etc.? Any and all information greatly appreciated.

JP

I am installing a fixed-mount VHF radio on board my new 24SSL, and am wondering where would be the best place to install the antenna. Where have other users installed their antenna, what type did you use, etc.? Any and all information greatly appreciated.

JP
A VHF,UHF,AM,FM all face similar challanges. The sine waves are absorbed by water. Therefore, a secondary ground plane will replace a bit of ground plane otherwise provided by earth. Whereas the above suggested solution attachs to railing, railing serves some ground plane duty....Beyond or in addition to railing, a Stainless Steel or aluminum plate (larger will increase the target area for the sine waves) may be mounted about anywhere and 50/75 ohm co-ax connected to your TX/RX. Increased performance may require a powered circuit amplifier. Subject to specifying a TV, additional antennas will be needed. The TV antenna is designed to be more independant, but still suffers from water absorbtion.

Back