Winterizing and cleaning carpet?

ronfl

Reaction score
It's pouring rain in the NE today so I'm surfing and getting advice on winterizing my toon! What is the best way to clean the carpet so I won't unwrap the toon in the spring to a mildew and mold mess?

:p

I use a power washer on mine. If you have an electric one just have at it, but if yours is gas powered (much more powerful) make sure you use the largest nozzle and don't get TOO close.

Also, it's an artificial fiber, so it's not as delicate as you might otherwise think. Just put it away dry and you'll be fine.

I've cleaned my carpets twice this year. Used the steam cleaner that I have at home. Leave it in direct sunlight for about 2 hours and it comes out completely dry.

I use a power washer on mine. If you have an electric one just have at it, but if yours is gas powered (much more powerful) make sure you use the largest nozzle and don't get TOO close.

Also, it's an artificial fiber, so it's not as delicate as you might otherwise think. Just put it away dry and you'll be fine.
Thanks

Do you use any kind of soap or cleaner to get rid of mold/mildew in the corners and under the rails? I have a large hay barn open on the east side and I plan to put it in there for the winter. Just worried about mold and mildew over the winter with the PP cover installed?

I use ordinary household soaps and cleaners on the boat, although whenever I do a thorough cleaning involving chemicals (as opposed to just water) I like to give my furniture and plastics a coating of 303.

For storage, I just have my marina "White-Top" it with the shrink wrap plastic and they store it for me. I don't even know if they store it indoors or out in any given year. So basically I can't tell you anything about barn storing except for one thing... You don't want critters getting in.

My suggestion is that you use generous amounts of mothballs around the logs, placed on whatever they are sitting on. That means getting under the boat, especially if you keep it on a trailer all winter.

Mothballs, and I mean the old smelly kind, seem to discourage all manner of pesky mammals.

Just let it air dry for several days it should be okay. You can also put some Damp Rid under the cover. That should help. I hear moth balls will keep out critters but I prefer Fox Urine. Just spray it on the ground anywhere the boat trailer contacts the ground. The hard part is catching them darn foxes :lol:

We used to use the mothball method with limited success until we discovered the use of common dryer sheets to keep the critters out. Just distribute them throughout the boat. The vermin hate em and the bonus is that the boat smells great when you uncover it in the springtime. This has worked for our 3 pontoons, 2 of which are stored outdoors under a carport and one stored in the polebarn. All our friends have switched to dryer sheets also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let it air dry for several days it should be okay. You can also put some Damp Rid under the cover. That should help. I hear moth balls will keep out critters but I prefer Fox Urine. Just spray it on the ground anywhere the boat trailer contacts the ground. The hard part is catching them darn foxes :lol:
I wonder if coyote urine would be as effective :p Since lots of Texas is burning up, I figure there will be some in my backyard soon!

For what its worth, last year after reading all kinds of suggestions/opinions on this topic, I decided to use everything - mothballs, cloves, "bounce" dry sheets, and "Damp-Rid" Did not have any critters, bugs, or mildew.

Might not need the damp-rid this year since apparently there will never be enough humidity for rain in Texas again :angry: I will leave the story of exceptionally low lake levels and how I tore up the carpet on one of my bunks launching a week ago and how I could not launch at all this past weekend for another thread.

Friar, I'll do a rain dance for ya ( part Wetum Indian ) and see if I can send a little your way B) Seriously, hope your drought ends soon :)

Back