Wireless Remote Switch to control lighting

Manitowish1

Reaction score
Just trying to validate that my logic is not wrong. I am planning on installing this wireless remote 12V switch on the new Benni that will control the lighting. There is many a night that me and the wifey boat out for dinner and cocktails. By the time we leave, it's dark and sometimes depending on lighting a little bit dangerous. So the solution that I came up with is to install this inexpensive remote 12V switch inline to control the lighting. Getting out of the boat, turn the lighting on via the standard console switches and disengage the lights with the key fob. Come out after dinner, hit the key fob and all of the lights on the boat come on, problem solved, no more stumbling back onto the boat. Here is the link for the 12V key fob that I want to use.

Wireless switch

Anyone see any problems that I may have not considered?

Thanks,

Jeff

One challenge I forsee is how much paracitic draw you have. I'm guessing a marine battery should withstand it, but, it would be worth checking into.

I am having dual AGM batteries installed, one for the Verado and the second for ancillary devices so I see it as less of an issue.

Depends on the lights you want to control, from the specs at the manufacturers website the limitation of the relay is 15 amps / 72 watts. I wouldn't try and control docking lights with this product, but courtesy lights would be fine, especially if they are LED. Also from the feedback, looks like 10 feet is about the max range of the key fob. I like it!

Having said that, I personally would not wire this into critical systems like nav lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good for $15.00.

Depends on the lights you want to control, from the specs at the manufacturers website the limitation of the relay is 15 amps / 72 watts. I wouldn't try and control docking lights with this product, but courtesy lights would be fine, especially if they are LED. Also from the feedback, looks like 10 feet is about the max range of the key fob. I like it!

Having said that, I personally would not wire this into critical systems like nav lights.
I have been looking at the wiring schematic that Bennington recently posted and I am coming to the same conclusion, wire this up to the courtesy lights only. The LED dock lights might be a little too much draw.

Mani, LED lights have minimal amp draw. I would just add a relay to carry the load and the switch would just have to carry the relay coil.Steve

Back