Yamaha 115 outboard on Bennington Pontoon

mellosunset

Reaction score
Hello - we bought our pontoon new 4 years ago. Every spring and fall our boat and engine are serviced by our dealer and stored for the winter. The engine has run perfect since our purchase , but yesterday it was missing while cruising above 4000 RPM's. Any idea for the sudden problem and suggestions one I contact our dealer for service?

Thank you for your thoughts

Sounds like a plug is starting to foul. Id run boat at full throttle for a bit to see if that cleans/clears it up. Then have the dealer do new plugs for the next season.

Plus 1 on fouled plugs .

I recently moved from a rented slip to a private marina. The rented slip was on a lake, the private marina is just off of a river that is no wake , its a 40 minute ride to a lake .My dealer preforms all of my service. The first 2 years on the river I was fouling my plugs ,tech asked me what was different? I told him about the move . He told me when I get to the lake open it up for 5-10 minutes. I haven't fouled a plug since.

I’ve read about folks who do almost nothing but slow cruise and they have a phenomenon called “making oil”. I read it’s raw fuel slipping past rings and mixing with the oil. The engine is not heating enough to burn off the various fuel compounds, double whammy, oil is losing lubrication and crankcase is being overfilled. So open it up to get rid of that problem. I think I may have a oil analysis done at my 100 hr and start tracking wear and any issues.
Has anyone heard of this issue or do oil analysis?

Back