Yamaha 150 4 stroke or 150 SHO?

howard3316

Reaction score
I just purchased a new 2550 RCL. 32" elliptical toons, Should I go with the 150 4 stroke or 150 SHO ($2000 more) or?

Given you have elipticals your maxed out at 150 right? If that is the case go with the SHO, probably closer to their new I4200

That 2550 number tells me it is a big spaceship. As look around this forum you will find the consensus is" buy as big as you can afford". I agree.

Me and the wife (it is her boat) debated last fall over a 200 or 250 SHO. For the extra $$ we went with the 250 SHO, No regrets, go as big as you can

Best Regards

Joe R Texas

You know what they say, "Go big or go home".

They've been comparing the 150 SHO with the F150 and Mercury's 150 FourStroke on one of the big bass boat websites. 

The F150 has been often mentioned that it has 110% of rated horsepower.  The VF150 is tuned for bass boats with its variable camshaft timing--something the F150 doesn't have.  On UTube, it appears to come "out of the hole" fast.  And the VF150 appears to be just about the same motor as the new model F200 4 cylinder but possibly with a smaller throttle body.

Many on this forum are ordering the F200 with the SPS hull for increased performance, and it's supposed to be a great combo.  That's the engine I'd order.

We are about to pull trigger on SSX 22 with extended stern, ESP OR SPS with either F150 or VF150. Looking for at least 40 mph and good turning radius. Leaning toward VF150. Do you think we will get 2K worth more performance & which prop should we use?

The SSX 22 is rated for 150 hp max. Our covered dock will only accommodate a 22 ft boat.

Well you can't get ESP on an S model, so I assume you mean EPP(Express Pontoon Package) . I think you'll have a tough time hitting 40 with either setup. Twin elliptical, yes I think you would, but you need to look at what you're actually after. If your goal is just to hit 40, then go elliptical, if you want superior handling, turning, buoyancy, go SPS. If your budget doesn't allow for those two, but you want a little increase in buoyancy up front if you plan on lots of guests, but no real measurable performance gains, then EPP will do. A 200 on SPS and you should achieve all your goals. If 200 isn't an option, then I would go for 150 with SPS. Keep in mind that is based on how I would use the boat. If you don't need high speed banking turns, or crazy whipping of a tuber, then twin elliptical might be the way to go. Just my opinion, take it for what you paid for it! :D  

He already has elliptical.

He already has elliptical.
I think Derrick is answering Buff, not Howard. Derrick can't ever stay on topic. :)So that I stay on topic, our 150 does 40 easily on our S with the EPP. Wait that's not the right topic...

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are always picking on me. 

Sorry Howard, guess I should have read the FIRST post, not just the LAST one!! Yes I was apparently replying to Buff. As to Howards question,  I really have no idea. I buy things because they look pretty. That's partially why I ordered my first 200SHO. I liked the dark dark blue, almost black look of it because I didn't love the steel blue/grey of the regular one. Then I read a few things about it and watched some videos and decided that my decision was good. Then I ordered a 250SHO the next year.It's been good to me, no complaints. 

As for Kaydano's easy to break 40, I for some reason had it in my head that they usually topped around 38-39 UNLESS they were on a twin elliptical setup. My bad, please don't make me sit in the dark corner again!!!!!

Without a full set of strakes, you are probably right with the 38-39 mph.  I added strakes so that each of the three tubes has strakes on both sides.  That helps with the top end speed. 

You don't have to sit in the corner today.  Who knows what you'll do tomorrow though.  :)

Look at the spec sheet / capacity sheet on the website.  Bennington says if you go down from 15 people to 14 on your 25 RCL, you max hp plate jumps from 150 to 200hp.  Talk to your salesman ASAP.  I am dealing with this on a 2011 boat and I don't carry the 13 people ever on my 2275.  The new 2014 2275 says 150hp for 13 people or 200hp with 11 people.

Hope this helps

Todd

Well you can't get ESP on an S model, so I assume you mean EPP(Express Pontoon Package) . I think you'll have a tough time hitting 40 with either setup. Twin elliptical, yes I think you would, but you need to look at what you're actually after. If your goal is just to hit 40, then go elliptical, if you want superior handling, turning, buoyancy, go SPS. If your budget doesn't allow for those two, but you want a little increase in buoyancy up front if you plan on lots of guests, but no real measurable performance gains, then EPP will do. A 200 on SPS and you should achieve all your goals. If 200 isn't an option, then I would go for 150 with SPS. Keep in mind that is based on how I would use the boat. If you don't need high speed banking turns, or crazy whipping of a tuber, then twin elliptical might be the way to go. Just my opinion, take it for what you paid for it! :D
Hey Derrick

We are looking at a new 22SFX and yes ESP is an option. I would need ESP on the boat if I went with a 200. So ESP is available on the S models.

You can get a 200 with sps. Don't have to go up to esp.

Interesting, you never used to be able to get ESP on S series. I was pretty sure I looked on the boat builder before I commented last time. Maybe they updated the site, or I looked at a different model. Or maybe I just looked at the 'view boat' heading as I see it still has no mention of ESP being offered, it also still lists 150 as being max hp. My bad! :)

Interesting, you never used to be able to get ESP on S series. I was pretty sure I looked on the boat builder before I commented last time. Maybe they updated the site, or I looked at a different model. Or maybe I just looked at the 'view boat' heading as I see it still has no mention of ESP being offered, it also still lists 150 as being max hp. My bad! :)
It seems as they are always changing there site. when you look at the 22sfx that i am looking at purchasing the option is there for up to a 200 and esp and if you look at 22 slx it is only a 150 and no esp. (on the build site) Maybe it is the model or they haven't updated the site yet but dealer told me it is an option.  Not your bad,  can only go by what you see on the site.  B)

I just made my own version of an sho by sending in the ecm from my f150 yammy engine in for a reprogram now just waiting for the glaciers to recede to go and try it out.

Been a while since I checked in here, guess nobody missed me. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here! Looking forward to the before and after.

3x

Back