Yamaha 150 vs Mercury 150

Reaction score
Our Yamaha 150 was stolen off of our Bennington 21 ft this week. Our Bennington dealer says we’re looking at at least February for replacement but only about 16 weeks for a mercury. Any suggestions?

I just did a quick search and found a bunch of Yamaha outboards for sale in stock. That would be my route.

If you went with the Mercury ,will your insurance cover the cost to change the controls also ?

If you went with the Mercury ,will your insurance cover the cost to change the controls also ?
Probably not but depending on the cost it might be worth not having to wait until February or later. We are in Central Florida right on the water so waiting that long really hurts.

Both motors are great! I lean Mercury myself for performance reasons - and looks :cool: .

What does your local dealer servIce - both Yamaha and Mercury? And if you switch to the Mercury, how much is the cost of switching over the controls? Is that covered via insurance along with the motor replacement (if insurance says no initially, then I’d press them given the drastically different wait times)?

IF your dealership services both motors, and you can wrap the controls switch over into the insurance claim, I’d 100% switch to the Mercury 150. But if the dealership doesn’t service Mercury, and just the Yamaha’s, then I’d for sure stick with that.

I would ask the dealer for a quote . I wanted to upgrade from a 150 to a 200 on my 2014 ( Mercury ) changing the controls made it cost prohibitive .

Both motors are great! I lean Mercury myself for performance reasons - and looks :cool: .

What does your local dealer servIce - both Yamaha and Mercury? And if you switch to the Mercury, how much is the cost of switching over the controls? Is that covered via insurance along with the motor replacement (if insurance says no initially, then I’d press them given the drastically different wait times)?

IF your dealership services both motors, and you can wrap the controls switch over into the insurance claim, I’d 100% switch to the Mercury 150. But if the dealership doesn’t service Mercury, and just the Yamaha’s, then I’d for sure stick with that.
Our dealer does service both motors. We will definitely have to get a quote for switching out the controls and see what were able to do with the insurance company. If it’s only $1000 or so it would be worth it to not have to wait on a Yamaha but if it’s more than that and insurance won’t cover it we’d prob wait.

I can’t stand thieves. There is a special place in hell for them.
But I’m a Yamaha guy so I’d stick with that.

Switching brands can potentially also require instrumentation depending on which instrumentation you currently have.

Both are great motors. It's the "other" stuff mentioned that should guide your decision. You will find huge fans of both. 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. Your dealer supports both, so that's a huge incentive.

Both are great motors. It's the "other" stuff mentioned that should guide your decision. You will find huge fans of both. 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. Your dealer supports both, so that's a huge incentive.
According to the dealer the current gauges are universal so the ones we have should work.

According to the dealer the current gauges are universal so the ones we have should work.
That would be enough for me since the dealer services both motors. I’d switch instead of waiting, assuming you have no other costs for doing so that are not covered by the insurance claim.

I also prefer Mercury, so that makes it easier for someone like me to say that. If you prefer Yamaha, then the wait may be worth it. However, both motors are going to operate great, so you cannot go wrong IMHO.

Can anyone confirm that the mercury 150 4 stroke is manufactured in the US? I’m assuming that might be the reason that we can get it a lot sooner than a Yamaha.

I spent more than a few years in the Arabian Gulf with the Navy. Saw a lot of smugglers and fisherman in those parts. Yamaha's on darn near all of them. They must know something. Jack M our moderator has seen them too.... Glad I have a Yamaha 150 on my new 22RTFB.

I like Yamaha over Merc for many reasons, but both are good Motors. Either will push your boat and get the job done. I personally would stick with Yamaha and will not by a Merc for anything other than a bass boat after owning yamaha. Here are a few reasons.

1: Noise while idling around the Yamaha is soo much quieter. Easier to have conversations on the boat.
2:Hole shot and overall performance of the sho you can't beat.
3: Reliability and longevity. Maintenance is easy to do yourself.
4: looks, my sho looks amazing on my Benny with the metalic blue paint.
5: Resale value. I personally believe pontoon owners specifically seek the Yamaha motor for the reasons above over the merc and it helps with resale. The performance Merc is Just too dang loud when your near it on an open back boat like mine. I have fished on many bass boats with mercs and Yamahas.

This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. But I do suggest you listen to both motors and make your own decision.

Back