Yamaha ECU Remapping

jhill

Reaction score
Sure...but then it becomes a question of full assembly cost + installation vs parts cost + teardown and rebuild labor, if the job can't be done in one's own driveway/garage.
......Or I could be happy with what I have and try moving engine to hole #2 to see if it allows ability to "trim" for getting to plane at lower speeds. I wonder if anyone puts false higher hp decals on their engine cowl just for sh**s and grins? Put 450 supercharged decals in place of my 150 and add SHO graphics. Maybe paint cowl gloss black. Its not like someone will want to race you like hotrod days. Banks Cummins Turbo Diesel? Maybe get someone to look and scratch their head at what they see.....:rolleyes:......."twin turbine" script with flames shooting out back?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Reaction score
......Or I could be happy with what I have and try moving engine to hole #2 to see if it allows ability to "trim" for getting to plane at lower speeds. I wonder if anyone puts false higher hp decals on their engine cowl just for sh**s and grins? Put 450 supercharged decals in place of my 150 and add SHO graphics. Maybe paint cowl gloss black. Its not like someone will want to race you like hotrod days. Banks Cummins Turbo Diesel? Maybe get someone to look and scratch their head at what they see.....:rolleyes:......."twin turbine" script with flames shooting out back?

I'd love to see something like that - especially the Banks Cummins TD or Twin Turbine! :p

jhill

Reaction score
Just got a response from Nizpro...... they said the following in email about my 2017 Yamaha F150...."tune is under development for release later this year. The F150 reflash currently has an expected release of 193hp. ......top speed standard Yamaha F150 47mph....Nizpro tuned F150 52.6 mph a 11.91% improvement." I typed just a portion of email. I will try to post entire email as this is exciting news for many of us with F150's !!!!!

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Just got a response from Nizpro...... they said the following in email about my 2017 Yamaha F150...."tune is under development for release later this year. The F150 reflash currently has an expected release of 193hp. ......top speed standard Yamaha F150 47mph....Nizpro tuned F150 52.6 mph a 11.91% improvement." I typed just a portion of email. I will try to post entire email as this is exciting news for many of us with F150's !!!!!

5.5 more MPH from a mere tune...WOW

jhill

Reaction score
Here is entire email between me and Nizpro...D4815C7B-2F9D-4D2B-A6BE-22654CCA53D1.pngE66428CB-B69B-40C4-9D95-D3D90B2441B5.pngF66E0DE7-9311-4E79-AF9A-3FBCDE73A287.png3EE529AE-9A96-4222-A682-1DA400741361.png721A4517-BC9C-4F23-96D3-DEF2A11410E8.png

Last edited:

DaveyJ

Reaction score
Wonder about my 2013 F150......

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Nizpro is at the top of the tuning game, IMO. 475HP out of that 4.2L - utterly amazing.

PartyBarge

Reaction score
So.....its like changing the rear end gear ratio in your hotrod SS396 Chevelle. Great hole shot for racing with 4.11 but high rpms on freeway kill gas mileage. Or cruises on highway with good mileage with 3.73 but crappy hole shot for racing. So why not just change gear ratio in a standard F150 engine from 2:1 to 1:86 ? Too expensive for parts? I suppose ECU programming wouldn't work right then.
WHAT!!!! There's no reason to do anything like that! Out boards only have one gear! To correct for a slightly different gear ratio, all one needs to do is change prop pitch. In the cases of the mentioned 90's and 150's, the difference is ~8%. Props are way less expensive and easier to change than gears!

PartyBarge

Reaction score
Nizpro is at the top of the tuning game, IMO. 475HP out of that 4.2L - utterly amazing.
Use caution, I know some of the joints remapping ECU's have been taken out of the game by manufacturer legal action (by both Yamaha and Merc).

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Use caution, I know some of the joints remapping ECU's have been taken out of the game by manufacturer legal action (by both Yamaha and Merc).

Yep, which is sad. The owner of the engine should be able to do whatever they want to it, since it's no longer the property of either the engine manufacturer or the reseller/dealer. Most the manufacturer should be able to do is void the warranty in such a case, not get a small business completely shut down.

Luckily, Nizpro is based in Australia, so they may get a pass to such shenanigans.

DejaWiz

Reaction score
WHAT!!!! There's no reason to do anything like that! Out boards only have one gear! To correct for a slightly different gear ratio, all one needs to do is change prop pitch. In the cases of the mentioned 90's and 150's, the difference is ~8%. Props are way less expensive and easier to change than gears!

But hey, if the disposable income is there...

jhill

Reaction score
Being the F150 is at the entry level hp of that 2.7/2.8 liter engine group, an ECU flash that promises to make similar hp of its higher rated brothers (F175, F200) seems safe enough. Consensus is most of internals are the same by several comments that I read. My 2017 F150 only has 45 hours on it but it is out of the 3 year factory warranty already. Now the engines that are supercharged aftermarket and ECU flash tuned to 450 hp would seem a lot scarier on long term reliability. Here is a picture of the ECU flash process. Quite technical. Must have proper Yamaha certified raincoat.......lmao..... :pIMG_4408.jpg

Last edited:

Maynard G. Krebs

Reaction score
There's about 99% identicality between any of the various 1.8L lineup, the various 2.8L lineup, or the various 4.2L lineup.

I noticed that at the low end of the hp scale as well. I was curious about the difference between my T50 and the T60. Same displacement, injectors, and everything. The only difference is the ECU. Unfortunately, the ECU lists for around $750, so the cost for each 1hp gained just isn't worth it.

DejaWiz

Reaction score
I noticed that at the low end of the hp scale as well. I was curious about the difference between my T50 and the T60. Same displacement, injectors, and everything. The only difference is the ECU. Unfortunately, the ECU lists for around $750, so the cost for each 1hp gained just isn't worth it.

Well, it's 20% more HP, but it's a whole different animal going from a only 50 to only 60 unlike a 150 to 200 or 200 to 250-300.

I'd say the 1.0L 70 ECU may be worth looking into, but you will likely also need to change the intake manifold, fuel delivery system/pump, and ignition/spark plug. Maybe even the exhaust, as well. Essentially converting your T50 into an F70. Definitely not worth all of that expense, IMO.

Maynard G. Krebs

Reaction score
Well, it's 20% more HP, but it's a whole different animal going from a only 50 to only 60 unlike a 150 to 200 or 200 to 250-300.

Yeah, I took a quick look at bumping a 150 to 200 and the ECU is around $1100. Not exactly cheap, but that works out to be $22 per 1hp gained which is a far more tolerable price ratio and a hp gain five times what's possible with my smaller motor. Lots of variables on list prices, but it looks like a complete 200 retails for around $4k more than a 150 so it's easier to justify buying just the ECU.

jhill

Reaction score
Being the F150 is at the entry level hp of that 2.7/2.8 liter engine group, an ECU flash that promises to make similar hp of its higher rated brothers (F175, F200) seems safe enough. Consensus is most of internals are the same by several comments that I read. My 2017 F150 only has 45 hours on it but it is out of the 3 year factory warranty already. Now the engines that are supercharged aftermarket and ECU flash tuned to 450 hp would seem a lot scarier on long term reliability. Here is a picture of the ECU flash process. Quite technical. Must have proper Yamaha certified raincoat.......lmao..... :pView attachment 27977
Could this be Jeffery Toobin on his zoom call?.........:rolleyes:

mecheng1

Reaction score
I have to share my experience with the Nizpro Marine ECU Flashing or remapping. I know this has been talked about on many sites and I have done hours of research online and on the phone. I got mine back a couple of weeks ago and installed it in less than 5 mins. The 2 primary concerns people have are 1) does it work? and 2) if it DOES, will the increase HP damage my engine?

What I found out is the Yamaha 200SHO, 225SHO, 250 SHO (Japan has a 275 SHO) and the F300 are all the same powerhead. They are identical 4.2 L 6 cylinders engines. The ECU is restricted on the lower HP to fit various applications. ie... you boat is only rated for a 200 but Yamaha doesn't want to make separate internal combustion engine parts for 5 different HP models so they throttle the 4.2L engine with the ECU and decal for the various models. You have as much chance of blowing the power head on your 200 SHO with the remapped ECU as the guy who BOUGHT the F300.

Anyway, I am here to testify in no uncertain terms that it works and the results are just unbelievable. I have a 200 SHO on a HEAVY R25 with ESP. With clean toons, top down medium load and good prop, I was only getting 32-33 MPH. The 200 just didn't have enough umph to get the front of the toons completely out of the water so there was drag. On top of that.... my cruise mpg was a terrible 1.8 at approx 20mph around 4000 rpm.

I took my boat out Sunday afternoon to Pickwick Lake on the TN River System and put in mid lake and ran south (up river) for 35 miles without stopping. I filled the tank when I got there and did the math over lunch. My fuel efficiency went from 1.8 to 2.55 with the same prop, same RPM and this was straight into what I estimate was a 2 mph current. PLUS my new Bimini was up the whole time and it wasn't before.

If that wasn't enough.... my top speed increased from 32-33mph with no Bimini... to almost 44mph with the top up. These are 100% GPS speeds. I was passing bow riders on the last 2-3 miles to the ramp. The engine now has enough power to trim the bow up and it rides on the back 1/3 to 1/2 of the toons like it should when you are running.

The last thing I want to add is that the very efficient Solas 4 blade prop I have been using could only be spun at 5200 rpm by the stock 200 ECU.... Sunday, it spun the same prop to the 6200 rev limiter and had more left. Bottom line is it needs a bigger prop and that will help fuel efficiency and top end speed even more.

I don't like to run wide open and very seldom do... but I do like mid range fuel efficiency and being able to open it up for separation after a no wake zone or something like that would be nice.

The cost was $700 even plus shipping.... the thing comes off with four 10mm bolts in 2 mins. literally. I sent it FedEx and had it back on my boat in 3 days beginning to end.

I was looking to trade my 200 SHO in on a used F300.... this saved me $20k!View attachment 25972
How does it work?Recalibrates the timing curve? Presumably it will require a higher octane fuel. What other parameters does it adjust to provide the hp gains. Thank you.

dannyleininger

Reaction score
Very interesting thread! I find it intriguing to think I could bump my F150 Yamaha to nearly 200hp. What has me mostly interested having read several older threads on this subject is the fuel efficiency improvements that seem to accompany this type of modification. When I got my Benny past the first 10 hours, I put it in the lake behind our home. Using the gps I got 39.9 mph with a very light load and 1/2 fuel. More importantly, are those times when you have a boat load of friends and you’re trying to out run a thunderstorm. A few extra HP might be helpful.

lakeliving

Reaction score
Having been on a Tritoons with a 150 and then on mine with 200 I really haven’t noticed a big difference

Unishot

Reaction score
Slight thread drift....
I have a Yamaha 2 stroke, 150HP, 6 cylinder V-Max, with carburators. Is there an easy way to increase the horsepower on my engine as we are discussing here?