Yamaha Engine Choices (F250 vs. VF250)

AndrewG

Reaction score
I appreciate the comments on my Digital vs. Traditional question.

All things being equal, what are the thoughts on the three Yamaha 250HP engines that I see are typically available?

The first is the 3.3L F250.  The second is the 4.2L F250, and finally is the 4.2L VF250 SHO.

They all seem to be about the same cost (give or take a few hundred dollars) or at least in the same ballpark.  This is for a 2550 QCB boat with the ESP performance package, and the use will be on a freshwater lake only.  In the end, is there any appreciable difference?  I'm told the VF250 SHO has a stronger hull shot.  I also know there are some weight differences.

I've searched all over to see a comparrison of these three engines, and couldn't find a real good one. 

Thanks,

Andrew

The 4.2 liter Yamaha engine has had serious problems since it came out 4-5 years ago.  The engines run very, very cool and owners have had terrible times getting the engines to break in when they're new.  They've also had serious bearing problems resulting in many engines locking up.  While the SHO owners love their engines when they're running right, owners are still experiencing a too often frequency of engine failures.  Yamaha has gone as far as to offer to install new power heads in their older engines.  And I would assume the new 4.2 is an offshoot of that SHO motor since it's 100 lbs. lighter than the original F250 3.3 liter engine.  Anyone buying a 4.2 liter engine should get the longest Yamaha OEM ESP/warranty that they can get.

You can read all about the problems on the Yamaha outboard section on BBCBoards.net--the bass fisherman website.

But the original 3.3 F250 is a fantastic motor, and it's been a favorite of the offshore fishing fleets out of South Florida.  They put mega hours on their motors, and most are setup as duals.

I have a 3 year old F150 Yammie, and it's been bulletproof.  My selling dealer has only had a problem with one F150 since he started selling Yamahas, and it'd been used in salt water and not properly flushed

Thanks for the advice!

Andrew

Go with the Evinrude Etec 250 G2. Lots of power, great fuel economy and zero maintenance for 5 years.

I'm dredging up this 2 year old thread to see if there is any more info on this engine debate as I currently find myself in the same position.

I don't get to chose the 4.2 litre F250. My choices are between the F250 3.3L and the VF250 SHO 4.2L Vmax.

I had the 3.3 litre F250 on my 2013 Benny and it was a great engine. They had a 19 pitch prop on it and the holeshot was great as was the top speed. The shop where I'm buying my 2375 RCW is planning on a 17 pitch prop for the 3.3L F250. I was happy when given the choice to go with that engine again and even the store owner recommended it. Well today I got the news that the 3.3L is NOT sitting in the back waiting to go on my boat but is still supposed to be on the way to the dealer. Sitting in the shop now is 4.2 Vmax SHO. Tomorrow he will know more on the ETA of the 3.3L but I've been reading all I can find and still don't know what to do for sure. A long delay on the 3.3L could push me to the 4.2 but would that be such a bad thing?

Here is what I do know:

- Same price

- Both recommend 89 octane according to the store owner. He says Yamaha put out a notice a couple of years ago and they now recommend 89 octane for ALL engines 200hp and up so no 87 advantage on the F250 3.3L.

- Yamaha is known for UNDERRATING some of their engines. For instance the F150 is really 163. The word on the net is that the VF250 SHO VMAX is really about 275hp - nobody has said the 3.3L is more than 250.

- The VF250 SHO VMAX is lighter and more powerful but will get slightly worse mileage

- The VF250 SHO VMAX is said to run cool which makes break in challenging and is said to be less reliable than the F250

- The shop owner and "the net" have said the VF250 SHO VMAX is more suited toward bass boats than pontoons citing how they're both used - cruising at a steady speed with a heavy pontoon vs blast off at full speed then shut down so they can get uncomfortably close to people's docks at all hours of the night (stay on task, poster, you're digressing)

- The ocean going folks vastly prefer the F series (also known as "Offshore" series) but the shop owner says that could be because the larger cowling on the SHO makes multiple engine installs difficult or impossible

- Nobody is saying the 3.3L Offshore F250 is discontinued but I cannot find it anywhere on Yamaha's site. ALL I can find is the 4.2L F250 which is an electronically detuned F300. By the way, the VF250 SHO VMAX was compared to the F300 and beat it in performance tests. THAT one fact has me starting to think I might want it!!

I'm not sure if this matters but my use will be more than 50 hours a year and less than 100. Any insights from those in the know on this matter?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry I can’t weigh in on your question. I can say I have a 150 and love it, no issues. Cruising, tubing it does them well.

I had the 250 SHO, I liked it. Can't really compare to anything else since I went from a 90hp to a 200 sho to a 250 SHO. I had it for 4 seasons, well missed half the first season putting in stereo gear and didn't use it at all in the fourth season and had less hours total than most have in part of one season!! So not the best reference point I suppose. I'm assuming the SHO he has is the new long shaft version as mine was the 20" which required a 20" transom mount. Never had any problems, always burnt 91 no ethanol.

Oh, and Yamalube Ring Free Plus with every fill.

Getting my 200 hr service on my vf 250. Love the motor. Lots of torque. I read all the runs cool reports also so I ran it hard during break-in. Hasn't made oil yet. Probably can't go wrong either way but I'll throw my hat in the ring for the vf.

Is noise an issue? I've heard it's louder than the 3.3L but not by much. One of the people said they could barely notice a difference.

I've never compared it, but the wind or music was always louder, depending which I chose to hear. Purrs at idle.

Just wait for the 450 from Yamaha. Was talking to my Yammy mechanic/dealer this week.

Getting my 200 hr service on my vf 250. Love the motor. Lots of torque. I read all the runs cool reports also so I ran it hard during break-in. Hasn't made oil yet. Probably can't go wrong either way but I'll throw my hat in the ring for the vf.
Your Benny must fly!

Well it appears I'm getting the 4.2L Vmax SHO anyway which is fine with me. The choice I thought I had never existed because the store owner was given some bad info or perhaps some assumptions were made. I told him since I could not find the 3.3L available anywhere new, it was probably the 4.2 Offshore engine and it turns out I was right. That one requires "fly-by-wire" so it wasn't an option anyway. All of that time researching this . . . at least now I've very well versed on the 4.2 options!

Well it appears I'm getting the 4.2L Vmax SHO anyway which is fine with me. The choice I thought I had never existed because the store owner was given some bad info or perhaps some assumptions were made. I told him since I could not find the 3.3L available anywhere new, it was probably the 4.2 Offshore engine and it turns out I was right. That one requires "fly-by-wire" so it wasn't an option anyway. All of that time researching this . . . at least now I've very well versed on the 4.2 options!

So you'll be on the lake next week?

Back