Yamaha tuning

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Been doing some research on the Yamaha 2.8L and 4.2L offerings, and it seems all the internals are identical on both engines regardless of HP rating, save for the ECU part numbers.

Would it be possible to convert, say, a VMax SHO 2.8L 150 to a 200 by installing just the F200 ECU or a VMax SHO 4.2L 200 to a 250 or even 300 by installing just the respective higher HP ECU?

I know some minor things like the rev limited would change from 6200 to 6000 RPM, but would it theoretically be this easy?

So are you saying a Yamaha F150XB is basically the same as a 175 hp or 200 hp version and just electronics and maybe bigger injectors, intake, and exhaust size make power output differences? So the 150 would really be well built. Does anyone reprogram them for more output?

So are you saying a Yamaha F150XB is basically the same as a 175 hp or 200 hp version and just electronics and maybe bigger injectors, intake, and exhaust size make power output differences? So the 150 would really be well built. Does anyone reprogram them for more output?

Injectors, intake, valves, exhaust...everything is literally the same part numbers from what I could find on Yamaha service parts sellers and exploded-view diagrams.

There are some flash tuners out there, but I'd just as soon buy a replacement ECM with the higher HP mapping in it from the factory since they'd be in the same realm of pricing as the tuner companies.

Back