Yamalube Fuel Stabilizer & Conditioner Use

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
It's getting close to the end of boating season for us Northern folks and have a few questions looking for feedback from the community as I am still learning and want to do my own winterization to save some money.

1. How precise does one need to be when adding the Yamalube fuel stabilizer & conditioner? The bottle calls out using 1oz of fuel stabilizer & conditioner per gallon of fuel for storage over 2 months. My plan is to add the fuel stabilizer & conditioner to the current fuel level (about 10 gallons) and take the pontoon out for one last ride to get the stabilized fuel through the engine. Is it better to error on the side of using a little bit more than less?

2. Do folks change out the in-line fuel filter annually? If so, once you replace the fuel filter, is it best to leave the filter and housing dry or should I use the primer bulb and push fuel into the housing and store it that way?

3. I have been changing my fuel/water separator filter every other year. Is it good practice to leave the filter dry after replacing it or should I use the primer bulb to fill the fuel/water separator and store it that way?

I also change my engine oil and lower unit oil at the end of every season regardless of how many hours I put on during the Summer.

Thanks in-advance for sharing your knowledge.

Lake Sylvia! I drove past it when 55 was under construction last year and hope to bring my runabout over to see it (I keep it out of my lake, due to AIS, and use it to experience the other 9,999 lakes—practicing clean-drain-dry).

1. I haven't heard of any ill effects from too much stabilizer. Not enough might allow some gum, but still less than not treating.

2&3. Until last year, I've had only two-stroke motors, so I haven't changed the fuel filters, just cleaned them with Seafoam spray. I'll be interested to see what you learn from other replies. A mechanic friend of mine (who has a degree in mechanical engineering, but preferred to wrench on engines rather than design them), says to store wet to preserve the tubing, so I would prime the whole system.

I look forward to more replies, especially if I'm wrong.

I would double check the dosage for your fuel, seems like 1 oz per gallon is a lot. I use StarTron and it's 1 oz per 8 gallons of fuel and says that over dose causes no harm.

It is usually necessary to fiil up the water separating filter with fuel prior to installing it so the fuel system does not lose prime when pumping the bulb. (assuming your bulb is on the engine side of the fuel filter)

Oil, filter, spark plugs, engine fuel filter, gearcase oil change and waterpump impeller intervals are listed at 100 hours or once a year. I do all of my own maintenance myself and find it to be good practice to do it once a year particularly in salt water applications to prevent stuck bolts and screws and the notorious woodruff key that drives the impeller from getting stuck to the driveshaft. (Yamaha engines) also greasing driveshaft and shiftshaft splines.

Lake Sylvia! I drove past it when 55 was under construction last year and hope to bring my runabout over to see it (I keep it out of my lake, due to AIS, and use it to experience the other 9,999 lakes—practicing clean-drain-dry).

1. I haven't heard of any ill effects from too much stabilizer. Not enough might allow some gum, but still less than not treating.

2&3. Until last year, I've had only two-stroke motors, so I haven't changed the fuel filters, just cleaned them with Seafoam spray. I'll be interested to see what you learn from other replies. A mechanic friend of mine (who has a degree in mechanical engineering, but preferred to wrench on engines rather than design them), says to store wet to preserve the tubing, so I would prime the whole system.

I look forward to more replies, especially if I'm wrong.
Lake Sylvia is a nice lake with 20+ feet of water clarity, fishing is good and large enough for watersports. The down side is it there are zebra mussels so extra precautions are needed to prevent the spread to other lakes.

I would double check the dosage for your fuel, seems like 1 oz per gallon is a lot. I use StarTron and it's 1 oz per 8 gallons of fuel and says that over dose causes no harm.

It is usually necessary to fiil up the water separating filter with fuel prior to installing it so the fuel system does not lose prime when pumping the bulb. (assuming your bulb is on the engine side of the fuel filter)

Oil, filter, spark plugs, engine fuel filter, gearcase oil change and waterpump impeller intervals are listed at 100 hours or once a year. I do all of my own maintenance myself and find it to be good practice to do it once a year particularly in salt water applications to prevent stuck bolts and screws and the notorious woodruff key that drives the impeller from getting stuck to the driveshaft. (Yamaha engines) also greasing driveshaft and shiftshaft splines.
I thought it was a lot too when I read the directions. Below is what is states on the back of the bottle.
1725536013699.png

I thought it was a lot too when I read the directions. Below is what is states on the back of the bottle.
View attachment 36136
That's what I used on mine all the time. If you also already use it regularly (the In Season dosing of 1 to 3) I just added the difference, so an additional 2oz for every 3 gallons. I did always fill the tank right up, add the stabilizer at the station so it has the drive home sloshing around to get a good mix, then run on the muffs at home to warm the oil and pull in the more potent concoction.

I changed my fuel/water separator every year, not that expensive to be sure the whole setup is clear of water. Do it before you run on muffs and you can be sure it is full and treated as well. You can always use the water paste to check if you have any water in the tank. We used to have a gas station and always dipped our tanks as common practice to be safe.

That's what I used on mine all the time. If you also already use it regularly (the In Season dosing of 1 to 3) I just added the difference, so an additional 2oz for every 3 gallons. I did always fill the tank right up, add the stabilizer at the station so it has the drive home sloshing around to get a good mix, then run on the muffs at home to warm the oil and pull in the more potent concoction.

I changed my fuel/water separator every year, not that expensive to be sure the whole setup is clear of water. Do it before you run on muffs and you can be sure it is full and treated as well. You can always use the water paste to check if you have any water in the tank. We used to have a gas station and always dipped our tanks as common practice to be safe.
Thank you for sharing your winterization process; it very informative.

Lake Sylvia is a nice lake with 20+ feet of water clarity, fishing is good and large enough for watersports. The down side is it there are zebra mussels so extra precautions are needed to prevent the spread to other lakes.
Sorry to hear about the zebra mussels. I’m on the Lake Improvement District board for our lake ((Grand Lake, SW of St. Cloud). We found them two years ago. Last year I saw them on my lift when I pulled it out. This year I see them on my lift in the water. We also have been addressing starry stonewort since 2017, and seem to have it under control.

Back