2016 2550 RSR Transducer cable replacement.

Johnnyboat

Reaction score
Need to replace the transducer cable on our 2016 RSR. Read several threads here but we can’t access the cable run via removing side skirts (there is a bracket in the way that does what I have no idea!) as some have or below as the under side is fully sheeted.

Any issue that anyone has run into with just moving the cable and transducer the starboard side?

I can access the under helm boot from the starboard (I think) and don’t need to mess with taking the under sheeting off and re-riveting.

OR if somebody has a source for the GARMIN GT20-TM transducer with the short lead and coupling willing to buy.

Last edited:
Any issue that anyone has run into with just moving the cable and transducer the starboard side?
Here’s what I’ve always heard: Transducers are traditionally mounted on the port side with pontoon boats due to the directional spin of the prop creating more turbulent water on the starboard side which can create signal reception interference problems.

To what degree it does it, if it’s a certainty or just happens sometimes, I have no idea. However, the fact that they are pretty much universally mounted on that port side seems to indicate to me that manufacturers consider the starboard side a problematic location.

I would at least do a little research on the above to see if it’s an actual thing, or boaters tail. It seems to make intuitive sense whenever I’ve heard it, so I’ve somewhat assumed it’s true. Probably not the best on my part. o_O

Outside of that, the rear ladder is often on that starboard side with many floor plans. So that’s a potential location conflict too.

On my Benny, there is a connection just inside the access hole at the rear of the pontoon, with the excess transducer wire coiled up. I have also ready many had success using the existing line to guide a "glow rod" through, and others saying with the skirting removed and the glow rod makes running a new wire easy.

Quick update. Thanks to all for the feedback. Reading the Garmin manual, it actually suggests that if you have a RH rotating prop, ours is, the correct transducer location is on the starboard not the port.

Was plenty of room between the ladder so again, no issues.

Feeding the wires through however ended up being the biggest hurdle. In the end, wife had the great idea of running a piece of conduit (I used 3/4 inch pvc which fit through the larger hole) from the rear all the way up just short of the under helm boot.

Ran a wire snake up the PVC and it worked like a charm!

Boats back in the water and everything’s works again. Thanks again all…

Quick update. Thanks to all for the feedback. Reading the Garmin manual, it actually suggests that if you have a RH rotating prop, ours is, the correct transducer location is on the starboard not the port.

Was plenty of room between the ladder so again, no issues.

Feeding the wires through however ended up being the biggest hurdle. In the end, wife had the great idea of running a piece of conduit (I used 3/4 inch pvc which fit through the larger hole) from the rear all the way up just short of the under helm boot.

Ran a wire snake up the PVC and it worked like a charm!

Boats back in the water and everything’s works again. Thanks again all…
Outstanding! And thanks for sharing your experience!!

That’s great news, and a nice little suggestion for running the wire. How’s it all performing now that you have the new one in and relocated starboard?

Back