Messed up disconnecting battery, need help

midwestMatt

Reaction score
I was running cables for an amp and thought I took pictures of everything but alas apparently not. The negative battery cable (the big one) is disconnected from both sides. I don't remember disconnecting it though. Where does the other end go?

2024 LSB with dual battery.

Attachments

• PXL_20240511_233046683.MP.png
    PXL_20240511_233046683.MP.png
    441.6 KB · Views: 35
Do you have an electrical hub that it attaches to?

There is a box with a switch, fuses, and multiple terminals. I think it probably goes on one of the negative terminals but i don't recall taking it off. I'm getting old tho

Google dual battery wiring diagrams for boats. Generally speaking our Benningtons come with 4 position switches (Off,1,2,1+2) a distribution panel and negative bus bar. The diagram below shows one common wiring scheme where you have charging wires from your outboard, connector wires that can put your two batteries in parallel and connections to your distribution panel and bus bar.

1715525025896.png

Google dual battery wiring diagrams for boats. Generally speaking our Benningtons come with 4 position switches (Off,1,2,1+2) a distribution panel and negative bus bar. The diagram below shows one common wiring scheme where you have charging wires from your outboard, connector wires that can put your two batteries in parallel and connections to your distribution panel and bus bar.

View attachment 35599
Thanks all. The house battery is the one with the switch, etc near it and the starter the one all by itself on port side? If so, then connecting the negative to the panel appears correct. There isn't much else for it to connect to

No idea what your particular setup is, but if you have two batteries (crank and house) they should be able to be connected via your battery switch - or else your house battery cannot be charged by the engine when running.

Both batteries should have positive red cables running to the switch, as per the diagram. If that is the case then you should have negative black cable that connects both negative leads on your crank and house battery, and on one of the batteries there should be another black cable that runs to your distribution panel/Safety Hub. My guess is your mystery cable is one of these two.

Perhaps a call to your dealer would get the answer.

Maybe this helps?
2021-07-09 10.32.02 Battery Electric v2.jpg2021-07-01 10.17.36 Battery Both.jpg2021-09-06 09.03.53 Battery Both.jpg

Last edited:
I happened to take this picture last weekend when I put the boat in. Maybe this can help as well

Attachments

• battery switch.jpg
    battery switch.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 19
All I can say is be very careful with electrical. :rolleyes: Hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in specifically.

I am personally spooked enough with electrical issues that I’m inclined to turn over even the simplest item to a tech now. If for no other reason to CMA if anything goes sideways. ;)

Back