20 SFX, How to equip?

Sinbad

Reaction score
Long time boater here, 25 years owning a 30' S2 performance sailboat in Annapolis, plus numerous small boats.  We now have a house in coastal Delaware with a boat slip in the community marina leading to Indian River Bay.  The slips are all 20' by 10'. Boats are not to stick out of the slip by more than 2 feet or so. I do have a lift in the slip, that I currently use with my WaveRunner or kayaks some weekends, rather than haul out after each use.

A pontoon boat is the most suitable power boat for this area, and after some research I have settled on a Bennington. They seem to have to quality level I want. With the 20 foot slip restriction, I am limited to a 20' S or 18' G Bennington. I am not a fisherman, at least not yet, but the G recliners for the front of the 20 SFX look to be a comfortable spot to sit when at anchor, which makes this model seem the best choice for us.

The local dealer, Shorts, has a good reputation, and the salesman who I am with is a nice guy, and with all the different boats and motors the dealer sells, he may not know all the little details of each, and may have opinions that may not be 100% accurate. He said the 90 hp Etec is no faster than the 65hp Etec on this boat.  Looking at the Yamaha site, on a 22' Bennington, their 60 gives 20 mph, their 90 gives about 30 mph. I would tend to think the researched and published Yamaha info may be more accurate.  Possibly the 20 SFX in their stock which has the 65 hp Etec mounted may have affected his statement.  I do like the easy maintainance and winterizing of the Etecs, and would prefer their motor.

With all the actual experience of owners, I would like to ask some questions. 

How does the SPS package compare to 25" two tubes, in terms of ride in chop, and top speed when in smooth water? 90 vs 115 hp?

With the SPS add on package, does "strakes" mean the same thing as the optional sealed lifting strakes? Is 'wavetamer" the same as the optional underdeck wave shield? What are the "foils" that are included with the package?

What difference does hydraulic steering make?

How do the upgraded rear bass seats compare to the standard ones?

Flooring:  I like the look of the brown vinyl with the light strips, reminds me of the teak and holly flooring of my big boat. I don't see this color listed on the build your boat section, closest seems to be aqua nutmeg. How does the woven teak compare to the vinyl, or the seagrass? I absolutely do not want carpet.

Rub Rails:  Standard vs optional HD, Stainless, or protectors. Impacts are inevitable, somewhere, sometime.

Starboard covered bow storage box covers seem a good idea, that stuff is indestructable.

How about Sharkhide protectant? Or quick clips for the mooring cover? Last years brochure had an optional sink in the helm available, it is not listed on the web site. Seemed a good place to wash your hands, although I may convert one of the livewells to be a sink.

65 hp vs 90 hp vs 115 (SPS) Etec motors? I don't plan to pull skiers, but would like the ability to outrun a storm. The furtherest part of the Bays is maybe 20 miles.  The ocean inlet does not look like a place for a pontoon boats to venture through, I plan to stay inside.  I've been beat up enough in storms long distance open ocean sailboat racing already.  Mother Nature always wins, sooner or later.  If I want real speed, our Waverunner will go 70 mph, but will knock you around in anything more than smooth water.

Lots of questions, I do appreciate any advice, hope to have a Bennington in the slip for next season and many more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. A lot of questions there. Congrats on choosing Bennington! I'll answer the SPS vs regular toons first. The sps package comes with everything you would need for a great riding boat. The third toon really helps with turning and hauling people. If your in saltwater you will want to add the sealed strakes. We sold our 2013 after 3 months once we rode on a sps equipped boat. The ride is night and day, trust me. As for motor the bigger, the better. You hit the nail on the head with the in-stock boat and the salesman trying to push you into that boat. Buying a boat is a big investment, buy that one that fits your needs along with your family, not what your salesman is pushing. Everyone on here will agree that you should buy the biggest motor you can afford, then a little more. We had a 115 on our last boat and with two 25" toons and lifting strakes it was fast...until you added weight. Now with sps and a 200 I'm pretty darn happy. I would say on a 20' boat the sps and 115 (if that is the biggest available) would be your best bet. I think I saw a video on you tube a while back with a 20slx with sps and a 115. Looked like it rode quite nice. Get the rub rails. Would you buy a car without bumpers? Upgrade to stainless docking lights. They look good and can take someone stepping on them without breaking. Hydraulic steering is nice and better than cable. Sharkhide is praised by fellow owners. I passed as it wasn't a must for me. I've heard the mooring cover clips are a pain and snaps hold up better. I'm sure others will chime in but hopefully that answers some questions. Don't be afraid to use the search tool either. There is years of good quality questions and answers here. And as for e-tec vs. yamaha, I was recently in FL and probably 97% of the boats I saw in saltwater were running a yamaha in the back. That told me something right there. Good luck and keep us updated.

I have the 18' SFX fishing Benny and the largest the 18' could have was a 60 and that is what we put on it.  60 HP Yamaha.  The speed is usually between 17-19 mph, with two or three on the boat.  I think most here will all agree to put the largest motor that can be affordable and allowed on the boat.  Yes, down here in Florida, the Yamaha definitely seems to be the motor of choice.

Back