2018 Yamaha 200 R23 engine bogging and surging

Hyde-Out

Reaction score
Top speed engine drops 200 to 300 rpm’s. Full service 3 weeks ago and it ran great first day out. Last two outings problem occurred. Feels like fuel or mixture issues. Thoughts???
Thanks

Sounds like bad fuel/water in the fuel. Was the fuel/ water separator changed at the full service? Have you filled up lately or is this fuel from last season? Try putting some Seafoam in the tank and see if it clears the problem up.

What did they service? It does sound fuelish.

Some folks say to look at your primer bulb and see if it is soft/deflated when these conditions are happening - that can help isolate between issues at the motor (downstream of the bulb) or in the fuel tank or filter (upstream).

You have all sorts of fuel filters (separators and VST) and pumps that can all be a suspect so it may take just going through the list and checking each one. Water or crud tend to be the most common issues, then part failures. Motor should be under warranty (3 or 5 years) so that should help if a repair issue, and dealer that performed service should fix on their dime if they caused it.

Sounds like bad fuel/water in the fuel. Was the fuel/ water separator changed at the full service? Have you filled up lately or is this fuel from last season? Try putting some Seafoam in the tank and see if it clears the problem up.
Thanks much! It was included in my service last month. I filled up once over the last two weeks but will definitely check on Seafoam!
What did they service? It does sound fuelish.

Some folks say to look at your primer bulb and see if it is soft/deflated when these conditions are happening - that can help isolate between issues at the motor (downstream of the bulb) or in the fuel tank or filter (upstream).

You have all sorts of fuel filters (separators and VST) and pumps that can all be a suspect so it may take just going through the list and checking each one. Water or crud tend to be the most common issues, then part failures. Motor should be under warranty (3 or 5 years) so that should help if a repair issue, and dealer that performed service should fix on their dime if they caused it.
I do appreciate you all taking your time to respond. As the old saying goes are used to have money now I have a boat! Hope you all have a great summer and safe boating!

Follow up. Back to shop and found a defective o-ring under one of the filters letting air in the fuel. All good! Happy 4th to all!
Thanks for posting the follow-up and glad to hear that you're back in business!

Back