2275 GCW Center Tank Fuel

Jim & Mikki

Reaction score
Our new 2275 GCW will be constructed next week. We ordered the twin elliptical tubes. I just read the post that said that the extra fuel tank hangs down with a box shape cutting the speed and I'm sure the mpg. I still have time to cancel the center tank option if it is a problem. Does anyone including TB have any input? Thanks

I'm not implying there isn't an issue with the previous poster's design, but I doubt the tank is the issue. The RCL is a very heavy boat, 2 Standard tubes, only 90 hp motor, and I'd assume doesn't have under skinning. My guess, under the very best conditions, 20 mph for top end without the assumption that a fuel tank is adding additional drag.

My WAG is that the motor is not at the correct height and/or incorrect prop for the setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are two areas of discussion here. What if any speed difference does the center tank make given proper engine setup. The other issue is "ride quality", how much does it transmit water line activity to the floor ?

I have a 2250 with a 115merc. I think for water sports use a 115 is a bit to small, 150 would have been perfect. I don't have absolute test but my new gps is giving me 26 to 28 mph but I need to do a real speed max test....so a 90 doing only 20 may be about right. Ride quality however is excellent. It smoothes out big waves and does not transmit allot of the water/wave action to the floor. My fuel tank is under the lounge seat and hence not "hanging" down under the floor. So if the center tank is transmitting wave forces to the floor that would lower the ride quality to whatever extent that is happening.

Spinzone... the boat you are reffering to is mine and im pretty sure it was set up correctly. Its just a template with locating holes to drill transom. The weight of the boat is not much different than a standard seating option boat. I question the placement and/or the design of the tank. Will eliptical tubes ride lower in the water???

I think there are two areas of discussion here. What if any speed difference does the center tank make given proper engine setup. The other issue is "ride quality", how much does it transmit water line activity to the floor ?

I have a 2250 with a 115merc. I think for water sports use a 115 is a bit to small, 150 would have been perfect. I don't have absolute test but my new gps is giving me 26 to 28 mph but I need to do a real speed max test....so a 90 doing only 20 may be about right. Ride quality however is excellent. It smoothes out big waves and does not transmit allot of the water/wave action to the floor. My fuel tank is under the lounge seat and hence not "hanging" down under the floor. So if the center tank is transmitting wave forces to the floor that would lower the ride quality to whatever extent that is happening.
To answer your question, ride quality is pretty bad unless speed is slow enough to keep the tank out of the water. The boat will not even come close to 20mph ....more like 16-17@ WOT with a little trim. This is my second Bennington R series. The last was a 2007 2250 RL with a 75 Yamaha and it was about 20-22 on hand held Garmin. I know the tank is dragging. I'd be leary of a center tank with twin tubes IMHO....

Spinzone... the boat you are reffering to is mine and im pretty sure it was set up correctly. Its just a template with locating holes to drill transom. The weight of the boat is not much different than a standard seating option boat. I question the placement and/or the design of the tank. Will eliptical tubes ride lower in the water???
Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that there is some drag, it's just that I doubt it is causing 4mph worth. Not if under skinning those ribs only adds another 2-3 mph.

On the other hand, your motor more than likely has multiple mounting positions to allow it to sit lower/higher in the water. I question the hole position and if your prop is the correct pitch for your boat.

Also, the R series boats are seriously heavy comparable to other Bennys. My 115hp isn't enough to satisfyingly push my boat IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that there is some drag, it's just that I doubt it is causing 4mph worth. Not if under skinning those ribs only adds another 2-3 mph.

On the other hand, your motor more than likely has multiple mounting positions to allow it to sit lower/higher in the water. I question the hole position and if your prop is the correct pitch for your boat.

Also, the R series boats are seriously heavy comparable to other Bennys. My 115hp isn't enough to satisfyingly push my boat IMHO.
I pretty sure it's causing more than 4 mph worth of drag. As I watched from the bow with my head hanging over the edge (I know...I know.. illegal) the water rushes up from the tubes and is forced to the center of the boat right where the tank is positioned. I believe this causes the drag and enough turbulance that the prop almost washes out. I'll take some pics this evening so that everyone has a good idea of the size and placement of the tank. I would expect at least low 20's on this boat with the 90...

Just trying to help you figure it out before we call all center fuel tanks on 2tubers bad.

One of my favorite reasons for the props and power thread. Fasttr's boat has the same power plant as you and same length. He runs 23mph. His boat also weighs in at 1791lbs according to build a boat. The 2250RCL weights in at 2554 (170 lbs for elliptical toons). That's a 763lb or 42% difference from the SSL. I would easily expect a loss of 5mph from that weight difference alone and 2-3 mph loss from the tank dragging.

Providing your mounting position of your motor as well as RPMs and prop size can help us get you on track!

I had the yamaha 90hp 2x25 toons on my 2075GLi, and the most I could get was 22-23mph, I was going to try different props, but decided to buy a whole new boat instead!! Who really wants to keep changing and trying new props out? Haha butbi do think my prop left a little to be desired, seemed to washout once you hit about 5300rpm, no real speed gain to 6000

Derrick

Hi All, please be careful in your analyis. We manufacture THREE different underdeck tanks! #1 is a transom tank for the S series. #2 is a 55 gallon center-mount underdeck fuel tank in the ESP center tube. #3 is the "belly" tank used in the RCL pontoon model without ESP. This is the "box" tank that rests below the deck and the one Lake Rat refers to.

To go back to the original question from Jim and Mikki...the center fuel tank and center storage compartments are not available on the twin elliptical models due to the inside width between the 2-32" tubes. However, if it is within your budget and you have selected an ESP model with 150 hp or more, the center tube fuel tank is a fantastic option. No one says you have to keep that tank 100% full all the time...which adds lots of weight! TB

Last edited:
I have a 2275GS  (2013 model) with the livewell at the center aft with the gas tank directly under it. My boat seems to lists starboard aft. I have had it checked by the dealer and no water reported in the starboard toon. I was wondering if anyone knows the design of the tank on a 2275G,  the fueling cap is located  on the starboard side of the tank area. The boat sits about  2-3 inches lower aft. I was wondering if the gas tank design might be causing the lists. If the tank is larger on one side than the other I can understand the lists. All gear has been removed and the batteries are located on the rear port loungers. Just two bass seats aft one on each side with the live well in the middle.  Thanks for any help.

handshake, stan

Back