250 Motor on a GCW 2375

JJmax

Reaction score
What motor would you use on a GCW 2375 with esp and lifting stakes . I have access to both Yamaha and Mercury service .

The 3 I have priced are the Verado pro 250, Yamaha SHO 250 or the Yamaha f250 3.3 . I haven't place order yet so can order it in the 20inch transom Please help . I like both Brands and they are both great just want the one that works the best with this setup

I went with the SHO 250 on my build because my wife liked the colors.... Just kidding. It truly is personal preference, don't rule out Evinrude e-tec or Honda. Not trying to make this more difficult for you... You'll get many debates and in the end, it's your choice. One thing I think many will agree on... You picked the right boat manufacture!

I ruled out the E etec,Honda and suzuki just because no one around me services them.

I went with the 250 Mercury Verado Pro but it was a close choice with the Yamaha 250 SHO. Honestly I don't know why I picked the Mercury over the Yamaha. Both engines seemed to be good choices. My dealer seems to sell more of the Mercury motors in our area but the other dealer sells more Yamahas. Good luck with your decision.

I went with the Yamaha because I know and like the local Yamaha dealer (my Bennington dealer is about 5 or more hours away), I went with the SHO because I liked the colors (seriously ) and it seemed to be more of an advancement design for Yamaha with it being so much lighter and the motor design. I really have no frigging idea though, it just looks prettier OK! Haha

My question is are all the three motors priced the same or close to each other?

I've seen online where the Mercury dealers charge $3K-$4K to hang the Verado motors. There's also a very expensive fly by wire binnacle to purchase for the Verado. And $2K for the Smartcraft omni-gauge and tachometer. It's just so much money to spend--and I'm not even talking about the cost of the Verado 250 motor.

I never would cherish having to purchase a $4500 Verado supercharger or a $5000 PCM (Propulsion Control Module.) All of the engine's parts are grossly expensive.

If I was wanting to make that much investment, I'd prefer Yamaha engines without all the high tech goodies--just simple as can be. And I would like an in water demonstration to compare the performance of the F250 Yamaha outboard and the 250 SHO.

After all, pontoons are very, very long lasting boats, and my Bennington tritoon purchase is for long term ownership. I just prefer to keep my life a little simpler and lower tech.

Went with the Verado 250 because it is badass, cost be damned, I only live once!

They're all great, and you really need to know which one suits your needs best. Choose two, and ask the dealer if he's willing for a demo of them.

The in water experience is the best way to find out.

I ordered the Yamaha 250 SHO . They finally had the boats set up to test them the SHO was on a 25ft and the 250 verado pro at a different dealership was on a 2275 both with esp .. Its was hard to act like your buying the same boat from 2 different dealers just so i could check the motors . The Yamaha is the one for me . The Yamaha felt way better through all power ranges . I have mercury on my other boat so wanted to stick with them but not at this time ..Had to go with the Yamaha

Thanks for the comments

You'll be happy with it, the rest of us are! Hehe now to pick a prop!!

Back