250 VMax mounting height question

jcr159

Reaction score
I know hull makes all the difference... but just curious...

I fee like I may have the motor mounted too low. I have a 24LSB (2022) with the sps+ hull. I have a Yamaha 250 VMax, and it's mounted on the lowest hole. At speed it seems like the hydrofoil is about the right height, but really hard to tell. that said, trimminng for good running straight gives me a good bit of blowout when turning any more than a moderate amount. i usually trim down to turn agressively, or when pulling watersports.

Maybe all that means i'm good, lol. this is our first pontoon, and definitely needs more trim work than the 80's glastron's i used to run back in the day (i/o drives)

I think for many of us, blowout on hard turns is a common issue if you’re trimmed for best mileage, and would likely get worse if you raised the engine.

I think for many of us, blowout on hard turns is a common issue if you’re trimmed for best mileage, and would likely get worse if you raised the engine.
Ok, that’s what I kinda wanted to hear…. If that’s normal for these toons, I’m likely dialed in well and all is good. No more worries from me..

Thanks!

Mine pretty much handles like yours JCR, especially since adding the Sea Legs back in 2019. What is good on straight line, doesn’t work for more aggressive turns or water sports without adjusting trim to avoid some blow out. Weight distribution onboard (from layout, to people and gear, etc) can impact this sort of thing. For us, it impacts it a bit more when tubing post Sea Legs than it did pre-Sea Legs. For reference, we have a 24’ swingback, and we are running a 200HP on a normal SPS hull myself.

My guess is you are fine and it‘s to be expected if you can resolve it with a little trim.

Mine pretty much handles like yours JCR, especially since adding the Sea Legs back in 2019. What is good on straight line, doesn’t work for more aggressive turns or water sports without adjusting trim to avoid some blow out. Weight distribution onboard (from layout, to people and gear, etc) can impact this sort of thing. For us, it impacts it a bit more when tubing post Sea Legs than it did pre-Sea Legs. For reference, we have a 24’ swingback, and we are running a 200HP on a normal SPS hull myself.

My guess is you are fine and it‘s to be expected if you can resolve it with a little trim.

Thanks for another confirmation!

Glad it was my mental mapping of V-Hull handling to pontoon handling that was the problem and not the setup... :)

Back