2919 Bennington 21 SSRCXP with a 2020 Suzuki DF150 Tachometer Question

Hlange

Reaction score
In March of 2020 we purchased a new 2019 Bennington 21 SSRCXP we took delivery in early April and I noticed multiples issues which the dealer resolved with the exception of 1. I noticed with the engine off the tachometer registers roughly 900 RPM. I have owned a number of boats in my lifetime, multiple vehicles with a tachometer installed both analog and digital tachometers, i have never seen anything register 900 RPM with the engine off. We purchased this boat from Spend a Day Marina on Indian Lake Ohio, when i spoke with them they indicated that was normal, i find that hard to believe.

Does anyone else have a similar experience and or know of how the tach gets calibrated during the rigging process?

Attachments

• IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 21
In my old runabout, the tach would not always go to zero with the key off, but when key was on and engine not running it would go to zero. Does it go to zero when you turn key on? It was odd for sure.

The analog on my 2014 sits at 1000 when off

In my old runabout, the tach would not always go to zero with the key off, but when key was on and engine not running it would go to zero. Does it go to zero when you turn key on? It was odd for sure.

The Tach never shows 0, key on, key, idling it shows 1700 RPM, engine off, with the throttle wide open the tach shows over 7.5k, which i am pretty sure is never the case on this engine. Thanks for the follow up question. I realize RPM's have several influences including prop, prop pitch, water conditions, engine etc.; since this model of Tritoon is very limited in terms of gauges and cockpit features I would expect those that are present would work impeccably.

Weird for certain, at idle it should be 600-800RPM I would guess, seems like 900 is the zero om this gauge. Have they swapped it out for a different one?

Great point, they blew me off with an explanation that they are all that way. I see the value for that Tach is around $20-$50 i will see if that is an option. I am trying to decide if this Bennington is a good purchase.

The analog on my 2014 sits at 1000 when off
Just curious, how do you know when the engine is started or stalled or if the optimal trim is set for KPH or if your prop is experiencing cavitation, or how does your engine perform relative to prop pitch and or overall prop efficiency? The tachometer is the dashboard indicator for understanding most of these items. If your comfortable with it depicting an inaccurate reading, i understand, but i am just curious about how one understands these critical vessel factors with (20% +/- of the critical information depicted incorrectly) this gauge not working?

I can hear the motor, and I can tell if I am at the right trim ,by how my boat is handling .Also having had an S model previous to my R the gauges were different between the 2 ( years 13/14 ) When I take delivery of my Q ,I know those are also different

When my key is off the tach does not read 0. It is somewhere below 1000. I have a Yamaha though. As soon as I turn the key on the tach goes to 0. Once started, the tach reads somewhere between 600-800 RPM, the norma idle speed for my motor.

It could be configured for a engine with less cylinders so it thinks it’s spinning more rpms than it is based on the firing signal.

Back