425 vs 300

Ironman11605

Reaction score
I just ordered a Q25, I went with a 300 Yamaha. I really wanted the 425 Yamaha but really and truly we never go fast at all in the boat. Most time is spent under 20mph. The reasonable side of me talked me into the 300. My unreasonable side keeps wanting me to call and change my order to a 425. So I'm asking you 425 owners would you do the 425 again.

If you have doubts and can afford the difference as well as the higher maintenance costs easily, then get the bigger motor. You'll likely not see much difference in fuel economy just puttering around at lower speeds, so the main benefit would be resale value if/when that time comes.

From the perspective of an owner who was wondering the same thing at the time of purchase, I have no regrets with the 300. In my situation, the way the boat was configured as far as options/color was more important than the engine, as long as it was not underpowered. A 300 on the Q is not underpowered. You will cruise comfortably at 25-35mph and it will top out in high 40s from what I’ve seen (obviously there are variables).That being said, if I were to order a boat, I would get the higher Horsepower offering simply because the cost difference relative to the cost of the boat isn’t that great. When I purchased, going from a 300 to 400 was about $10k difference. Moving to the 450 Mercury was FAR more expensive. I’m not familiar with Yamaha 425 pricing. Anyone who really feels they need over 400hp in a Tritoon should be considering offerings with twins IMO. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Bennington is still not offering twins unless you go for the 10’ wide which is a shame. Our lake has many twin engine pontoons (mostly Trifecta, Avalon, or Manitou). Twin 300s will far outperform any single.

You said "we never go fast..." so maybe there's a second opinion? I love the idea of high horsepower, but my wife is uncomfortable above 30 mph and happiest at 23-25, I think.

And the truth is, the couple of times I got mine up around 40 mph, I wasn't particularly comfortable either (she wasn't with me, and I think 41 or 42 is top speed, mathematically, for my 260hp I/O).

That's just me - like I said, I understand the need for speed.

Hey, ask Semper Fi for his opinion!

Last edited:
From the perspective of an owner who was wondering the same thing at the time of purchase, I have no regrets with the 300. In my situation, the way the boat was configured as far as options/color was more important than the engine, as long as it was not underpowered. A 300 on the Q is not underpowered. You will cruise comfortably at 25-35mph and it will top out in high 40s from what I’ve seen (obviously there are variables).That being said, if I were to order a boat, I would get the higher Horsepower offering simply because the cost difference relative to the cost of the boat isn’t that great. When I purchased, going from a 300 to 400 was about $10k difference. Moving to the 450 Mercury was FAR more expensive. I’m not familiar with Yamaha 425 pricing. Anyone who really feels they need over 400hp in a Tritoon should be considering offerings with twins IMO. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Bennington is still not offering twins unless you go for the 10’ wide which is a shame. Our lake has many twin engine pontoons (mostly Trifecta, Avalon, or Manitou). Twin 300s will far outperform any single.
The Yamaha 425 is about $20.000 more. I did demo a twin Bennington with two 300's on it. although I loved the boat the 10 wide makes me have to install a new doc and not many places is set up on the lake to doc a 10 wide boat. Thanks for your input your making me feel better about the 300.

I know your dealer may not offer anything but Yamaha but if they do and you want to step up the 400 mercury verado is probably going to be the most economical option for higher horse power. The 425 Yamaha and 450r mercury are priced crazy for the little difference you gain but I understand that you have to pay to be the top and they will capitalize on that while they are still new. I know a Q25 with cladded arch and full windshield will do 47mph. With a 350 verado

I always laugh at these threads .... sitting on a 20HP lake.

Test drove a boat with a Merc Verado 350 on it. The salesman easily got it up in the 40's. Then he looked at us and said......hold on! He hit that throttle and effortlessly shot up to the low 50's. But it wasn't the top speed it was the amount of torque that got us to that speed. That hole shot was unreal! That boat jumped out of the water then he hit it again! That supercharged 350 was unbelievable! I can imagine a 400, 425, 450.......

OP,
I don't know what the price difference is between the 300 and the 425 but, I can tell you this, while you or your wife may be a bit skiddish about higher speeds, if and when you might need those higher speeds for whatever reason, you're gonna be darn glad you got that higher HP motor. No one says you have to use that higher HP ALL the time. But it's really nice to have upon request. Our Benny is a 2014 25RCL and it came with the Yamaha 350 4-stroke FI. 5.3L engine. That boat is a big boat and, that engine get's it on plane in about one boat length. While about 97% of our boat speed hovers between 25 and 35 mph, with just the two of us (and our little mini Schnauzer) on board, a half tank of fuel (57 gallon tank) and, both of the dual biminies are up and zipped together, I can achieve 50.5 mph on it.

But, that's WOT or, wide open throttle and, right around 6,500 rpms. I don't run that fast very often, about once every couple of times out on the lake and even then, for only about a mile. I can watch the fuel gauge go down as I run that fast. There is no need to run that fast. I'm not needing to impress anyone. But, one of the really good points about having a larger engine is, when you load that boat with more than just the two of you, AND some kids or a few more adults, the larger engine just doesn't work very hard at achieving plane and, keeping it at the speed you're requesting. Whereas, the smaller engine will work for sure but, it's working just a bit harder for the same purpose's. It's a choice thing. I know if it were me and, while the higher HP engine might give me a bit of sticker shock, knowing what I know and have experienced the benefits of higher HP, I'd opt for the higher one in a heartbeat.

And as has been stated, your resale will also be up quite a bit as you'll attract more potential buyers when they know you have a higher HP engine. Good luck.
Scott

How much time you want to spend at gas pump? I bet the 425 sucks more fuel. My boat goes 45 easy bu 20 MPH is the norm.

When I bought my boat from my brother, I was like "Wow, 5 liter V8 I/O 260 hp - this thing is incredible!"

On the first test drive, we could see a storm coming in fast and we were across the lake. My wife (who doesn't like speed, but hates getting wet even more!), said we need to get home fast! I said fast? She said FAST! So I push it to about 3/4 throttle as I recall. We start passing this guy in a bass boat 25 yards off our port side. One of those boats where the engine looks bigger than the boat. He sees me and I see him reach for his throttle... he keeps glancing over and pushing on his throttle more. He looked irritated! Finally he starts to pull away faster and faster. But I know he was kind of surprised that he actually had to push his boat.

So, I always thought I own a beast of a pontoon boat until I started reading this stuff!
I have no plans to change, though!

As I stated earlier, you don't have to use ALL THE POWER, ALL THE TIME. But, if and when needed or, you just want to lurch ahead for a short spirt, then, hit that throttle and zoom around for a short bit. It's not gonna empty the tank in 30 seconds. My prop is a Saltwater Series 16.25 x 17 and if I wanted more top end than the 50.5 mph I rarely attain anyways, I'd go out and pickup either a 19" or 21" of the same diameter. But again, it's so darn rare that we need that kind of top end.
Scott

Back