A couple of questions about our Q

Talbot

Reaction score
We purchased a 2575 Q last spring and we absolutely love it but we don't get to use it often, in saying that, I have a couple of questions:

1. When we are crusing across the lake, the speedometer reads approximatly 12 mile per hour lower than the GPS speed (speedo says 20 MPH and the GPS reads 32 MPH), I know that we are traveling way faster than 20 MPH, but why the descripency?

2. The best fuel mileage I can get is 2.1 MPG, is at normal for the 350 Merc I/O?

That's and appreciate the feedback.

You might want your dealer looking into your speedometer inaccuracy under Bennington's warranty.

Mercruiser's 350 cubic inch, 300 hp performance test on a 2275 RCW with Bravo II is available on their website.

They were getting around 3 mpg @ 3000 rpm's--and 20 mph is your most efficient speed. At full throttle, the test reported 40 mph and about 1.8 mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have the Mercury Smartcraft SC1000 gauges, tach and speedo with the small LCD window at the bottom, there is a programmable setting on the menu to select the source for the speedometer - pitot, GPS (via NMEA 0183), paddlewheel. Yours is probably connected to the pitot, which may be blocked, giving a low reading.

I'm not if last year's models had this, but the 2013's with GPS enabled speedo's have a Veethree Teleflex NMEA 0183 GPS receiver buried under the dash that communicates to the speedometer via 2 wires. The Garmin GPS also provides 2 wires for NMEA 0183 that could be used as an alternative to feed the GPS speed from there to your Smartcraft speedometer so they're in sync. If either connection to the Smartcraft speedo is already in place you can just use the CAL menus to enable "EXTERNAL SENSORS GPS ? >YES" and "EXTERNAL SENSORS USE GPS SPEED ? >YES" as your speed source input for Merc speedometer and you're good to go.

Thanks for the feedback, it does have the smartcraft SC1000 gauges so I will try syncing them with the GPS.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback, it does have the smartcraft SC1000 gauges so I will try syncing them with the GPS.

Thanks again.
When my boat was delivered the dealer wasn't even aware of the setting. Mine had the GPS sensor already, so it was a 5 minute job, no wires. Good luck!

Back