A reminder to be safe on the ice

Long story short........Back in the early 80's on Pascoag lake in Rhode Island my father in law used to tell us how they used to drive cars on the lake when he was a kid because the ice was about 2 feet thick.......so during this really cold spell my future sister in law and I decided to try it out. (My future wife said.....Hell No!) I didn't want to take my beautiful souped up VW beetle and she didn't want to take her Celeca so.........we took my wife's Datsun B210 Honeybee. Ha! You remember those? Anyway we had a blast! We went all over that lake. It had just enough snow on the ice to give us decent traction. It's an experience we still talk about over 30 years later. But if you really think about it.......how incredibly stupid was that?!? A 2/3000 lb. car on ice! Sure it was really thick but we didn't know if there were any thin weak spots or cracks we could have fallen or broken through............of course my father in law tells us years later about the number of cars on the bottom of that lake........

They Still drive on the lakes here .Not for me .

They Still drive on the lakes here .Not for me .
Yeah, that's just crazy to me. I've seen it here when the ice was 24"+ like last year.

My neighbor has been out this year in his new Ranger UTV, which is ~$15k worth of very nice vehicle.

When I was 14 ice fishing with my Dad on Lake Erie . I was walking back to the car and fell in where some one had moved their shanty that was glazed over & snow covered .

I have never been on a frozen lake again .

Last edited by a moderator:
The ice here is not as reliable as it is in "normal" years and so quite a few atvs & pick-ups have fell through.

It is not thought of as that big of a deal since it happens somewhat frequently.

I think it was about 15 years ago at a snowmobile race at Detroit Lakes in MN, several truck/trailers fell through during the night. Some had people sleeping in them. I am sure it made National news.

Always  think of that when our  snowmobile club hosts events held on the ice & there are upwards of a hundred vehicles in a close area!

No incidents yet! (Knocking on wood)

We've had numerous sleds and atv's out on ours this year. Neighbor and his buddies were out in their Polaris rzr's the other night racing around. 3 of them all tricked out.... Too much $ for me to risk

Here the snowmobiles are on the lake frequently.

Ice skaters and the 4 x 4 ATV's are on routinely with the ice fisherman

I sit in the house looking out the glass walls at all the fires and activities

Never liked the cold (lol)

35165641.jpg

Back