Adding rear shade opinion needed

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
So my r23 has the sport arch and the little bit of shade the postage stamp sized bimini provides just isn't enough! I looked into the front add on bennington is now offering and its crazy expensive and as far as i know cannot be used while moving. I have found another option and wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger. Its also good up to about 35 mph. Its a little pricey but they currently have a discount code that knocks off almost 300$.
https://gemlux.com/products/pontoon-shade-system

Looking at the pic , I wouldn't trust it while underway with the narrow poles shown

Agree with Jack. Can't imagine 35mph with that set up. It looks great though! We have a double bimini and we travel in the 30+ range and sometimes we feel that's a bit much!

Ditto above comments. I wouldn’t travel with that deployed AT ALL! And if someone did, I wouldn’t feel comfortable beyond the slowest shoreline cruise with how its supported in the back.

Now for hanging at a sandbar or anchoring off, it looks like a great option, especially if paired with certain rear floor plans.

So my r23 has the sport arch and the little bit of shade the postage stamp sized bimini provides just isn't enough! I looked into the front add on bennington is now offering and its crazy expensive and as far as i know cannot be used while moving. I have found another option and wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger. Its also good up to about 35 mph. Its a little pricey but they currently have a discount code that knocks off almost 300$.
https://gemlux.com/products/pontoon-shade-system
I keep looking at the Shade and like it!

I don’t see where they talk about a 35 MPH limit, but the system does use carbon fiber poles that appear to have a rather large circumference. Additionally, according to the installation video, the rear poles automatically lock in. Lastly, this is not a new product, but actually an adaptation of their highly successful CC shade. Personally, if I were in the market, I’d definitely be interested.

I'm going to pull the trigger sometime next week and get it ordered. I have to pull some underbelly pieces anyways to install a new ladder. So might as well kill two birds with one stone. When I spoke to them on the phone they said it was good up to 35mph ish. I figured depended on how you have it angled and tensioned will depict how to performs

I'm going to pull the trigger sometime next week and get it ordered. I have to pull some underbelly pieces anyways to install a new ladder. So might as well kill two birds with one stone. When I spoke to them on the phone they said it was good up to 35mph ish. I figured depended on how you have it angled and tensioned will depict how to performs
Be sure and document your installation so others can benefit from your experience.

Nice! Keep us informed. Thanks!

Cool beans! Nice coordination with the ladder job. Hope it all goes smoothly and look forward to you reporting back to the group. If its remotely as durable as they seem to advertise, it could be a very nice option for those with the sport arches.

Our 2015 Q we ended up ordering the front bimini from the dealer, not the newer style but original, and yes it was expensive but here in Texas summers we will take all the shade we can get and it was good at cruising speeds. The 2015 also had minimal shade at the stern with the smaller bimini and this would have been nice to add for extra shade, except we do a lot of tying up with other boats and people cross boats at the sterns and would be concerned with people pulling on these posts while crossing from boat to boat. Though it still looks like a nice option for even more shade at the stern.

Interesting. That's more than the bimini is rated for. I would only use it while stationary.

Going to hold off on ordering until I pull the shrink wrap. pretty sure off some quick measurements it would also work on the bow of the boat!

With Carbon poles, it certainly could take 35mph. I suggest the question becomes how is the front of the bimini attached, there I could see some rubbing that would cause pre-mature wear at 35mph. And where does that WATER come from....

Attachments

• Rear Bimini.JPG
    Rear Bimini.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 13
Mounted to the front I would not go beyond 5-10 mph. It would act like a big sail. I climbed inside my boat this evening and measured it out. Should work out. Just have to add another set of the deck plates to the order.

Mounted to the front I would not go beyond 5-10 mph. It would act like a big sail. I climbed inside my boat this evening and measured it out. Should work out. Just have to add another set of the deck plates to the order.
Please share pictures when you have the entire project done as well as letting everyone know how they perform. Looks like a nice option for certain situations and gaining more shade.

Back