Amp power supply

Todd & Amanda

Reaction score
While we wait for our new boat I'm looking at options for upgrading the sounds system. We previously had wet sounds (aftermarket installed system not the factory upgrades) and we loved it. Not previously having a Bennington I don't know what I'll find under the dash for a power source. The boat will be a Q series with the Mercury Verado, will there be any type of 12 volt cable under the dash heavy enough to supply an amplifier or will I have to run wiring somehow? Also since this boat will be a swing back it has lots of room under the rear seating for a subwoofer and amp which is easy to access the batteries to supply the amp. Only issue on the sub located under the rear seating will be running the RCA cables to the amplifier, any suggestions?

There isn't sufficient factory wiring under the helm to support an amp.  So, you can either run the heavier gauge hot and ground from the battery to a distribution block under the helm or do your other suggestion of just running long RCA cables.  Either will work.  If you decide to run RCA cables do more than you'll initially use.  Run several pairs in case you continue to expand your stereo system even more in the future.  I ordered my Q with the Wetsounds speakers with Kicker amp and subwoofer (under the front starboard seat).  I added a second sub under my rear seating to fill in the low end toward the rear of the boat.  Doesn't crank and thump like my wakeboard boat did with 3 amps, subs, tower speakers and in-boats but it sounds quite good for what it is.  I also added a sub knob, two additional remotes and tweaked the amp a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have have a Q with a Merc 350. It has a tunnel. Once you remove the side skirt you can get to the under side of the helm and access to the tunnel. The tunnel guides wires and what not the motor bay. 

From there you will be able to tap into the battery.

That sounds great! I was afraid the under deck waveshield would have to be removed to access the wiring. I'm going to pm you with a few questions about your Verado. 

Back