Battery cutoff

ccbb088

Reaction score
I have been shutting the batteries off after each time I use the boat. Is this overkill? Will the batteries be to low not to start the boat after a week of not using it?

I also shut mine down after each use .I loose  the radio memory which is no big deal for me .

I do not think it is overkill .

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving it on for a week should be no problem if your battery is in good shape. The radio memory should be a very small drain, especially compaired with all the devices the average car or truck has nowadays, and they can typically go for weeks and still start.

I have the small solar trickle charger with regulator control to prevent overcharge. It is hooked up all the time and keeps the batteries fully charged. I have used these for many years and had no issues with the batteries. You can get the panel and charger very inexpensive from harbor freight. I have never had one fail yet.

I am a Battery Tender guy, too many cars and motorcycles and now a Bennington to not have things plugged in. I actually had an A/C Delco factory battery last 7 years keeping it plugged in. (And those are not the best batteries to begin with)

I turn my battery switch off, dual battery set up, and I always alternate between switch position 1& 2 as Odd/Even date usage. Using two Tenders now waiting for one to die (or to purchase another toy) because I have my eye on one of their Dual port 12 volt chargers it is currently on Amazon for about $81,,, Just to provide a clean install in the battery compartment and a single plug in to the extension cord when the boat goes up on the lift.

Take care of those batteries and they take care of you. jus saying

Regards

Joe 

Back