battery light when triming

1987iroc

Reaction score
2009 QXI 2575,W/200 hp Yamaha outboard

I get the battery light on for afew seconds when I'm trimming the motor up or down....can any tell me what is the best battery for the boat??

Well, spec wise, I couldn't find any battery better than a Northstar, but that is for my stupid application, you probably don't need it. Deka makes an AGM battery, for just normal boating stuff, normal deep cycle batteries are good. Tom has some nice Die Hard Platinum ones too. All depends on how much you want to spend and what they're purpose is.

Debates always occur on the "best" batteries, as they all have pro's and cons. If that's your original battery from 2009 you're probably due for a new one and it makes sense to just replace it with something similar. I use the Sears Platinum Die-Hard AGM's because I have a Merc Verado which is very picky about the start battery and has power steering so Merc specs AGM's. The AGM's are expensive, but they've given me great service over the years in my boats.

1987iroc, welcome aboard the Club!

I won't get into the battery question, as there are others here who will guide you in that matter.

My input will be to address the battery light, the light comes on when system voltage drops below a specific value, say 12v.

Does this happen with the engine running or with the engine off?

If while running, i would check the output of the alternator, and the current draw of the trim motor, the alt. could be weak and not providing enough output to keep up, or the trim motor could be drawing too much current, drawing system voltage down.

Back