Battery - Single Switch

SnakeByte

Reaction score
I had a single switch installed on my battery, purchased as an option from Bennington.  I thought I understood this switch as a "master" switch for the boat.  Meaning when I turn that switch to off, I can be confident that the power is off to everything.  When I return the next day, I can know the boat will start because I didn't leave navigation lights on or something.

Today, I was at the boat putting some 303 on the vinyl and carpet and had the radio playing.  So I figure, heck, I'll just hit the switch on the battery as I back my way off the boat.  So, I flip the switch to off and low and behold, the radio was still playing!

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the switch or is something wrong with the installation?

Thanks!
Jason

On mine, when the battery switch is off, everything is dead. Odd that yours works differently. There should be a main feed to the console, so if the radio works so should everything else on the console. Sounds like the switch is just cutting off the motor

On mine, when the battery switch is off, everything is dead. Odd that yours works differently. There should be a main feed to the console, so if the radio works so should everything else on the console. Sounds like the switch is just cutting off the motor
Yep, everything did work on the console.  I tried the navigation lights and they popped right on :(

I would go back to the dealer to correct the wiring. Should be a simple job to correct--the console feed must be wired directly to the battery, and should be wired thru the switch.

Mine is wired the same way. I first noticed it when the dealer took me out on my sea trial and was explaining all the ins and outs of the boat. We came to the power switch and I was under the same thought process as you. When the switch turned off ALL electrical power to the boat should be eliminated but in my case the only power that was killed was too the engine...

Kind of a silly setup. Why would I need to kill the power to the engine? I would be more concerned with leaving a light or the radio on whenever I thought I had it put up for a week or more. 

Please let us know what the dealer does. I'm still on the fence about taking it to the dealer. I'm being told they are about two weeks out to get my boat back to me if I drop it off. There's a fine line between taking it to the dealer to get world done that I could do myself. Especially if I could do it faster and cheaper. 

Mine is wired the same way. I first noticed it when the dealer took me out on my sea trial and was explaining all the ins and outs of the boat. We came to the power switch and I was under the same thought process as you. When the switch turned off ALL electrical power to the boat should be eliminated but in my case the only power that was killed was too the engine...

Kind of a silly setup. Why would I need to kill the power to the engine? I would be more concerned with leaving a light or the radio on whenever I thought I had it put up for a week or more.

Please let us know what the dealer does. I'm still on the fence about taking it to the dealer. I'm being told they are about two weeks out to get my boat back to me if I drop it off. There's a fine line between taking it to the dealer to get world done that I could do myself. Especially if I could do it faster and cheaper.
Glad I'm not the only one confused. I'll keep you posted.

I would go back to the dealer to correct the wiring. Should be a simple job to correct--the console feed must be wired directly to the battery, and should be wired thru the switch.
Thanks ct. I'll see what the dealer says.

Yes when in the off position ,Nothing should be on .Get it back to your dealer .

Check your kill switch,that is one of a few electrical issues I have .

Now I have another item  to check ,

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at your battery, there is probably a small red wire connected to the positive terminal. That should be connected to the other side of the switch.

I have a master switch on the console that cuts the power to everything on the console including the ignition. As I understood explanation for the battery switch it was for charging the batteries or select battery 1, battery 2 or both batteries for uses. I agree with everyone, selecting off on the battery switch should you would think turn off all the power in the boat. That's how it worked in my other boat.   

I too have two batteries and a switch.  When the switch is OFF, nothing will work.  This was an after-market setup that the dealer installed.

I have dual batteries with the power distribution panel and switch from the factory. When it is in the off position everything is dead except the motor.

If you look at your battery, there is probably a small red wire connected to the positive terminal. That should be connected to the other side of the switch.
I think you're right, dealer said they can fix it.

I checked mine yesterday . Master switch controls everything. 

Back