Bennington Upholstery Seam Trouble

ChrisP

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 2012 2275 RCW and am having trouble with all the seats ahead of the rear loungers with the exception of the captain's chair. The trouble is where the two different fabrics come together at the piping that separates them is ripping! This could have been avoided had the material had been doubled then sewn to the piping that separates the two materials. I am a family man with two small children. It has been made very clear to anyone who boards that the seats are made to be sat in! They have seen no "Rough Treatment". I have contacted my sales lady and was forwarded to the service man. I forwarded pics of the ripping and pics showing how many seats in total... Being a weak spot there must be others seeing this as well? If there is a rep that could chime in that would be great. I would really like to get the ball rolling here so the boat can be used next summer!

Hmm, I had the same boat as you, but no issues. Although, based on your comment of "where the two different fabrics join" I'm assuming you had the pillow top upgrade, which I didn't have on my last one. Sorry I couldn't be of help, hopefully your dealer and Bennington can get on this right away and make it right for the season. 

Hey Derrick.

No pillow top upgrade. Two fabrics join at a piping under leg when seated. My photos are too big to upload.

Thanks

Chris, sorry to hear of your problem.

At this point, your dealer is your best resource to get replacement seats ordered. Try to make sure they have contacted Bennington with a warranty request.

If they do not act in a timely manner, request the name of their regional factory rep. and get in contact with him/her.

Keep us updated on the progress, i am sure all will be taken care of!

Hey Derrick.

No pillow top upgrade. Two fabrics join at a piping under leg when seated. My photos are too big to upload.

Thanks
No they aren't too big, you just need to upload them to the gallery, then using "my media" button above, chose the ones you want in the message. It works quite well. I'd like to see where you are referring to. Thanks

Hey Chris, I just looked in your gallery, are you meaning on the seat bottom, where your button sits and there is the light color, then the piping, then the darker bolsters that are under your knees, that piping? Hey, is your teak table darker than normal? I haven't actually looked at mine. We took it out of the boat when we got home from the dealer and put it in the basement till we trade this one in! Haha

Chris,

Last weekend while wiping down our seats with 303 we found the exact same issue on our rear lounger. Our other seats are fine (I checked them) Our dealer is taking care of it as a warranty issue. It's exactly as you describe. The vinyl is pulling away (tearing) from the piping. I'm sure your dealer and Bennington will take care of it. Just give them some time.

Thanks

Smitty

Hey Chris, I just looked in your gallery, are you meaning on the seat bottom, where your button sits and there is the light color, then the piping, then the darker bolsters that are under your knees, that piping? Hey, is your teak table darker than normal? I haven't actually looked at mine. We took it out of the boat when we got home from the dealer and put it in the basement till we trade this one in! Haha
That's right BC. Just posted pics in gallery.

Chris,

Last weekend while wiping down our seats with 303 we found the exact same issue on our rear lounger. Our other seats are fine (I checked them) Our dealer is taking care of it as a warranty issue. It's exactly as you describe. The vinyl is pulling away (tearing) from the piping. I'm sure your dealer and Bennington will take care of it. Just give them some time.

Thanks

Smitty
Thanks Smitty.

I had the same issue on the front port side lounger - dealer fixed it.  I've had no problems since.

Is it where the stitching didn't hold when sewn? 

When cushions are sewn, they sew the two pieces AND the piping at the same time.  They don't sew the piping separately.  It's a job for a professional that does nothing but sew cushions.  And sometimes the stitches just don't come out right.  They're using very, very strong thread and large needles when they do this job.

I did go to upholstery school, but never got good enough sewing cushions to attempt it.  I send my cushion covers out to those that do it every day. 

Bennington will take care of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same seats. No problems that I've experienced. Must be the Amish had a bad day when they made your seats.

Bennington will hook you up. The advice suggested earlier by Smitty is spot on.

It seems the seating supplier has been dropping the ball lately. My guess is they are not able to keep up with demand. It took months to get a replacement helm chair for our boat, others have had issues with staples poorly installed on bow seats, and now piping falling apart. Hopefully Bennington is taking notes and will get these issues resolved.

Being the way I am (cheap), if and when I get to that stage, I'll be buying a heavy duty sewing machine, ordering the vinyl, and making my own covers.

I already pulled the rear seats in the GTO, stripped the leather seat cover, re-sewed it (breaking 4-5 needles in the process), re-installed the covers and reinstalled the seats. Bear in mind there is no room to move. I'm thinking the Benni will be a cake walk.

It shouldn't get to that point though in my opinion. If it is a known issue, I think they need to bite the bullet and get them repaired, recalled etc. I know stitching will not last forever but come on. Our 3 year old Samsung microwave just went out (And we never use it) and it turns out it was a known issue and Samsung paid to have it repaired, two years after the warranty expired. Doing the right thing says a lot about an individual and an organization.

I'm a little concerned about the apparent on-going seam problems with Bennington. Just how big a problem is this? how many have had problems...2%, 20%, or more?

Back