Best way to get gas out of tank? (in emergency)

tinkertoy

Reaction score
We had a bad storm and lost electrical power. To keep my generator running I need more gas. I was trying to siphon gas from my 20SVL but something is blocking my hose. The tank is full but I can't get any out. I even tried a 1/4"od plastic tubing, still won't get down to fuel.
Anyone got any tricks to tap this reservoir in emergency?
Thanks, TT

What about disconnecting the line at the motor ?

I think the line has a check valve that won't let it flow unless it's hooked up.
TT

Maybe I could disconnect something and run the motor's fuel pump?

Check with your dealers service department . They know the best way to drain your fuel tank .

Check with your dealers service department . They know the best way to drain your fuel tank .
This is the route to go. They can tell you straight up the best approach. Other than siphoning, I’d personally be too worried about messing with anything else. But I get a bit paranoid on such things after being burned following a minor situation that became a disaster. So I am probably too cautious nowadays.

I have the direct fill ,there are bars in the fill neck that prevent siphoning.

Two options mentioned above are viable for your side fill boat. High flow siphoning thru the tank top can be done if one removes the fuel level sender plate. This plate is below the big round access cover on the floor. Low flow siphoning can be accomplished by redirecting the fuel that normally goes to the engine. Tap in directly downstream from the squeeze bulb. Use the squeeze bulb to start the prime.

Thanks, DVW. It gives me some ideas, I'll pull that sensor cover and see what I can do. Also like the idea of tapping into the bulb line.
Too late for this emergency, but I'll be ready next time.
TT

Just kinda thinking about this one. Wouldn't there be a better way to get gas than ripping you Bennington apart?
That never occurred to me but you have a good point. Unlike cars most boats will have their tanks drained during their lifetime.

I would suggest one of the direct connections should suffice. This tube would be easy to remove, syphoning would require a a bit more effort as you would need to somehow increase the hose length.2022-06-05 12.19.18 Gas Tank.jpg

Last edited:
Just kinda thinking about this one. Wouldn't there be a better way to get gas than ripping you Bennington apart?
My power was out, I live in the sticks, one gas station. His power was out too. I need to run my generator to power fridge, freezer, etc.
I've got 25 gals of 0E gas sitting in my Benny. It would be nice to tap that source in an emergency.
TT

Any large service dealer should be able to provide you with a good answer. Please share it with us as other might also need it in an emergency and forget it is there.

Same as water. Where I live, before every major storm ( we now name them in Florida) and hurricane, many people rush to the stores for extra water, forgetting that they already have 40 gallons or more that is already stored, just warm. They just need to know how to access it.

A 1/4" hose or copper tubing will fit between the bars.
As I said in my write-up, I tried 1/4 OD plastic tubing and it hits something solid about 2 or 3 ft down. Maybe I'll try again based on what you said.

If you don't want to go directly to the tank per previous advice, maybe get or borrow a borescope and send it down the fuel fill to see what is blocking the siphon tube. You can borrow mine if you're in the area but they have some cheap ones on Amazon that also have tons of other uses.

As I said in my write-up, I tried 1/4 OD plastic tubing and it hits something solid about 2 or 3 ft down. Maybe I'll try again based on what you said.
I have a direct fill and you can see the bars that are a few inches down.

You could add a marine valve like this one, but connect boat fuel tank to the center position, connect engine to one side and a hose to the other side to get fuel from tank. When not in use you could put a plug on the one side.

The set up in this picture is used in the fall to fog the engine from a portable tank that is rich with 2 cycle oil to lubricate injectors and cylinders. The small bracket in the picture that is holding the valve is only temporary until I cut a nice piece of material. Click on picture to see all of the valve.

Attachments

• Bennington Fuel Valve New.jpg
    Bennington Fuel Valve New.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
use a fuel pump and disconnect the fuel line where convient and pump it out.

Back